• In the Spotlight:

Anyone do Graphic Design?

I want to get a degree in this and have a couple of questions. Do you have to be able to do Web Design? I assume that would be the most successful area, but I'm more interested in working for magazines or designing billboards and things like that. Do you need a super fancy printer? If you're a freelancer, do you charge by the hour or by the job as a whole?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am a freelance Graphic Designer. I went to the Art Institute of California in San Diego. It's friggin expensive and you get the same education as from a regular state school, so I would go that route. I did Graphic Design only because that is all they offered. I don't enjoy web design and do not know how to do it, but almost EVERY job out there for GDers wants web design too so it is worth it because that is mainly where the money it. I ended up buying a 'super fancy' printer, the Epson R1800, it's awesome. You don't need one but it definitely makes life easier for projects and saves you money in the long run. You can charge however you want. For me it depends on the project. Lately because everyone are on strict budgets I charge by project because it;s more cost effective, but I would usually charge by project anyway, it's easier to quote it that way. PM me if you have anymore q's.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 3:10 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I'm looking for graphic designers, too. We're running a logo contest--with prizes--and need more entries before the end of the month.

The Work at Home Squad
    http://wah-squad.com/index.php/topic,87.0.html

AlisonMSmith

Answer by AlisonMSmith at 1:20 AM on Jul. 16, 2009