Why did my cilantro die?

I have a windowsill pot, in it is sweet basil, dill, catnip, and cilantro. (It came that way, I wouldn't personally have planted catnip in close quarters like that, it's a bit sprawly.) My cilantro started looking a bit wilty yesterday, but it's been overcast and today we had great sun - I hoped that water and sunshine would perk it back up. I set it out front, since it wasn't doing so well on my sill, and now it looks like it's dead.

What is wrong with it? And what can I do to revive it? Do I need to cut my losses and remove it from the pot?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 2:37 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'm thinking too much sun?
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:41 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Poke a hole, Like pencil size around the plant. Then water. It helps airate the soil/plant. Only do 4 or so holes though, not to many. Let me know how it works. Also, Catnip is a good herbal remedy for a multiple of things. I can't remember for what but I'll look in my books. Have a good day sweetie, and good luck with your plant.
    casd

Answer by casd at 11:21 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Thanks! I will try that.

I was excited about the catnip actually, I had wanted some... it just seems to be growing all over the other three herbs willy nilly. It needs to be contained elsewhere - he needs more room! - but I think that the root systems are probably so entwined at this point that trying to do anything would do more harm than good.

The sad thing is now that my cilantro looks so done for, the basil looks better than it has for a week... poor thing needed the sun. I think I burned out the leaves on the cilantro putting it in full sun for so long. I'll get back to you about whether aeration/H2O helps.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:05 PM on May. 22, 2009