Head Start?

I enrolled my daughter in head start we a suppose to get a call this summer about it but has anyone had experience with it? If so what is it like? did your kids like it?

firsttimemommy

Asked by firsttimemommy at 2:41 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter LOVED preschool... so much that she went when she was 3 and when she was 4... I plan on putting my son in it when he is older! I have heard, from my friends and others that their preschool was different, but my daughters preschool was awesome!!! They taught her sooo many things! She knows her address, how to read a little, her abc's, she sings tons of different songs, she learned about dinosaurs, and the first man to walk on the moon, she learned about all of the meanings to all the holidays, etc... and she just graduated from preschool and they even did a cute little graduation ceremony! I LOVED it! It also gave my daughter a chance to play with kids her age... she learned how to share and take turns! Its great! You are gonna LOVE it!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:49 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My mother taught Head Start for about 15 years. It was a good program for lower income children back then. They took the kids to the dentist,and several other things. It is mainly for social interaction for the children,at least when my mother taught. They have changed Head Start ALOT since she was involved in it though, she had to finally get out of teaching because he seen to many cases of child neglect/abuse and simply could not handle it anymore
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Check into your local program. They are not all the same. Same concept and follow the same rules, yes...but the quality varies.

Our local one SUCKS. I sent my oldest for 4 months and it was an awful experience...for me. He liked going, but the program was sorely lacking. His vocabulary and grammar regressed, they didn't work with him at HIS ability level, the handbook said they had computers and they DIDN'T, his teacher didn't even know he had an IEP when he started then didn't read it for another stinking month!!!

They were telling me things and when I questioned them they were shocked I did so. Then one of the workers actually told me to my face, "We're not used to dealing with people like you. You're in the 10% of our parents who are educated." !!!!! I started raising a little hell.

That was a year ago. They now have computers and there is a new director.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:56 AM on May. 22, 2009

• OH..even with those changes, I am determined my other two sons will NOT attend this head start program.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:57 AM on May. 22, 2009