Can marijuana cause or help trigger a panic attack?

I smoke nearly every night with no problems, it usually relaxes me and I go to sleep. The past 2 nights I have woken up with a panic attack. I don't think it is the marijuana, I think it may be vicodin my dentist gave me after I got a tooth pulled. I am anxiety prone and take xanax and just started paxil as well, but I've only ever had one attack before and it was over a year ago. Any thoughts or info?

Amberfire82

Asked by Amberfire82 at 3:03 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Health

• I honestly don't think pot would cause a panic or anxiety attack, unless it was laced with something else. It could be the combo of pain killer and your anti anxiety and depression meds. BTW, I don't think there is anything wrong with smoking pot, as long as your children are not in the room.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:15 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think that it can... but since you are a frequent smoker, who knows! Sorry I cant help more!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:06 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Yes smoking pot can cause panic attacks, it all depends on each person.... Most people who get them from smoking pot, it is caused by extreme amounts of pain at the time or stress... Also if you are use to smoking at a certain time each night and then smoke at a diffrent time can cause what you may thing is a panic attack
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Well it didn't happen right after I smoked though, it was at least 2 hours later. IDK.
    Amberfire82

Answer by Amberfire82 at 3:08 AM on May. 22, 2009

• With cronic smokers there comes a point when it can cause paranoia, panic attacks, depression and all kinds of fun stuff - it is different for everyone but eventually it happens to almost all smokers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on May. 22, 2009

• i dont mean to be rude but...... why are you smoking pot with your kids around whether they are asleep or not? that is a little negligent if you ask me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Marijuana is used as an anti-anxiety medicine. I doubt its the weed.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 5:02 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Pot can trigger panic attacks... so can alot of other drugs and alchohol too.. and I know, I am a former panic so much you can't even go outside person... drop the pot, trust me.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:11 AM on May. 22, 2009

• It could be because you're subconsciously concerned that you're doing something illegal which could lead to your arrest and the removal of your children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I DON'T THINK THE WEED DOES THIS SPECIALLY IF YOU ARE USE TO DOING IT.

Answer by older at 8:15 AM on May. 22, 2009