my son is starting to run off when we are in public

He is 16 months and never use to do this but thinks he is all mighty invincible now I guess. How can I teach him to stay put that running away from me is bad. Chasing a toddler and running is just not ideal lol especially when everyone feels the need to stop and watch ME chase my son.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:39 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is three and she still does this we use one of those child harnesses it works really well and my daughter likes it she even asks for it now
    firsttimemommy

Answer by firsttimemommy at 3:40 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I've tried that..he likes to strangle himself in it lol....ugh not to mention the horrid looks I get. I only let him down (from me holding him or in stroller) when I know he's stay to roam..but to make it a game of running from mommy scares me!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:47 AM on May. 22, 2009

• lol...... we get horrid looks to sometimes but i also have a younger son so if they give me a look i feel like saying well i would rather have her on this than not be able to find her lol......... but yea i understand i dont know what else to do mama
    firsttimemommy

Answer by firsttimemommy at 3:51 AM on May. 22, 2009

• lol well thank you! I guess just keep pushing the moral of the story on him "dont run from mommy please". I am for the leash I mean I would rather have the horrid looks too then him bolt in the street or something but it isnt a concern like that YET, I keep a hold of him pretty good he usually is good just he is starting to think its funny to go look at something then take off running,
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:54 AM on May. 22, 2009

• oh when we are at walmart i let my daughter carry something she likes around as long as it is not to spendy like around Easter she was dragging a huge Easter basket around she wasnt running off cause i kept telling her i was going to put it back but that kind of helped =]
    firsttimemommy

Answer by firsttimemommy at 4:00 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Tell him if he does it, you won't let him come with you next time... and keep tabs. If he runs around then next time you go anywhere you leave him at home with someone... that worked for all my kids.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:04 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My kids get a choise they hold my hand or I hold their arm, They always chose to hol dmy hand, they have no choice. Good luck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 6:27 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Don't you love how no matter what we do to keep our children safe, someone will sit back in judgment.? How is a harness any morally different than a seatbelt?
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 7:54 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I work on HOLD MOMMYS hand or you can't get down. We hold hands inside the house, in the yard so he doesn't go in the street - granted he's always been a little more of a clingy child so he may not have been as hard to do this with as others but its worth a shot.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:46 AM on May. 22, 2009

• LOL I didn't like the idea of a harness either, but I've seen one that looks like a monkey backpack they wear on their backs and the leash is attached to the tail of the monkey. Although, they do seem necessary I took a different approach. If my daughter would run from me I would stop her and go to a corner, got to her level and with a stern voice explained that she has to hold my hand and can't run a way from me. I know there are some children that are more difficult than others but this worked. Even before getting out of the car I would explain to her that running away from mom or dad is not acceptable and if she did we would go home . Also praise them if they listen. We still let her know how good she was when she is and sometimes she gets a treat for being good. SHe is 2 1/2 and this has worked!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 10:50 AM on May. 22, 2009