Going to try for another...how can I get my sixteen month old ready?

He is a super mama's boy, daddy doesnt take him much of the time and daddy works a lot so I will be sole provider of attention and care. How can I make this easier for me and my son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep reinforcing that he is going to be the big brother. I also was worry about it when I was pregnant with my second but the natured plays an important role. My oldest is the most amazing brother, helper, and he takes good care of the little one. Just wait and see he is going to love to be the big brother. He will be so eager to teach the little one all the things you already have taught him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on May. 22, 2009

• nature* sorry I'm so sleepy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I was worried about sibling rivalry at first too, but heard or read somewhere that if you keep the older child(ren) involved in the pregnancy as much as possible, it helps to prevent it. I did this by talking about "our baby" the whole time I was pregnant. I talked about how exciting it was going to be and I even helped them practice with a baby doll. Speaking of which, I have to do that again --the practicing part--with my son. His baby brother is due in 12 days! :)
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 7:43 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it until you're pregnant. At that young of an age, you really can't "prepare" them for another baby anyway. They won't understand, they won't remember day to day.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I have a 2 1/2 year old and I am 13 weeks pregnant now. I've read that it's better to tell them at about 6 months pregnant when you actually have a belly and it's closer to the time of baby's arrival. Also, make sure you take him to the hospital after baby is born and have a small gift ready for him and tell him it's a gift from baby. Also at home have him participate and help out with little things. When baby naps make sure he gets mommy time like he did before baby arrived. Easier said then done I guess, but I 'm going to do this and will see. I'm sure with time they adjust, but I know what you mean change isn't easy for anyone.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 10:42 AM on May. 22, 2009

• To be frank, they aren't smart enough to know whats going on to be able to prepare them. I think they can tell something is up once you are obviously pregnant, but there's no way for them to really understand. Just make them feel loved and like a priority so they don't feel too displaced once the baby comes. But there really isn't a point in preparing your baby before you're pregnant, and probably not even in the first trimester or so! Good luck TTC though!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:53 AM on May. 22, 2009

• the hospital where you delivered probably has a sibling class (along with baby first aid, breastfeeding, new mom support group, etc.). Contact the person in charge of patient education

Answer by rkoloms at 11:06 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My family and I talk about their being a baby brother in my tummy. I always say there's a baby in there, be nice and rub mama's belly. My son's due in 8 days. My daughter will be 18 months old in 9 days. She understands what a baby is...she actually gets a little jealous if people rub my belly. She knows she's the baby. So, it's really hard to prepare a baby for another baby. I'm excited though. I'm very fortunate, my husband will be staying home for 8 weeks after I give birth to help with our kids and the house. I feel very blessed. Also, I have my parents and in-law's near by too, for once my hubby goes back to work. Do you have any family or friends that can help you? Definitely get involved in a baby/mom group. Good luck to you!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:57 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Oh-yeah, we bought my daughter a baby doll. So, when we bring home our son...we'll give her the baby doll.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:59 AM on May. 23, 2009