Schedule?

When did you start to get a routine or schedule with your baby?...

Like napes during the day && a consistent bed time at night && they slept through the whole night? -

My daughter is seven weeks old so i know right now i cant really get any certain schedule going, but just wondering when mothers here did... thanks.

kwiseman19

Asked by kwiseman19 at 6:48 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I found it easier with my boys to wait until we were starting meals at about 4-5 months. I slowly introduced each different meal, so by the time they were 6 months there were three meals and three snacks. At this time, they kind of automatically set their own nap and bedtime schedule.

Before that, I tried to force a schedule and quickly found we were BOTH miserable! It was much easier to go with their flow.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:56 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Have the set schedule started right now my daughter was on a schedule by the time she was 4 weeks old the sooner the better for you both.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:56 AM on May. 22, 2009

• start the schdule ASAP use light and dark to help you get some room darkening shades so when you put her in her room to nap its dark and in the late night feedings use minimal light but during the day keep it supper bright in the house all shades up all lights on it will soon register in her brain dark and quiet sleep bright and noisey awake they dont know much at this age but they learn and absorb information like a sponge
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 8:08 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Personally, I think putting a baby that young on a schedule means you're making her go hungry at some point because it "isn't time yet" for them to eat. She will be overtired at some point because "it isn't time for a nap yet".

Babies that young should be fed on demand and sleep when they need to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on May. 22, 2009

• i agree with anon 8:18, babies shouldnt be put on ANY type of ridged schedule isnt a good thing. you probably have some idea now on what your babies needs are, at what times etc.
    you can work with this, by noting down what time bub woke from her nap, what time they fed, and so on, for a few days, then using this info, you can work out the rest of your day around these times, so you can prepare your day a little more efficiently.
    BUT if your baby needs more or less sleep one day than the next, work with it. sometimes if you have a more stimulating day, your baby may have their sleep patterns out of kilter and dont make them wait for feeds if they seem hungry, as its often a growth spurt.
    you can have a rough idea on when baby needs to eat and sleep, but dont make it LAW and you will both be much happier
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:34 AM on May. 22, 2009

• A routine is ok but not a schedule. We started a routine as soon as DD came home. It wasn't planned but we just fell into it because DH worked. I mean if your baby says she's hungry but the clock says she has an hour to go just feed her anyway. If she is tired let her rest.
    Our routine was like this -
    10am wake up and nurse
    11am mommy would eat breakfast
    12pm nurse to sleep
    3pm wake up and nurse
    4pmgo visit daddy at work and eat lunch
    5pm nurse
    6pm nurse to sleep
    9pm wake up and nurse
    10pm mommy would make dinner for daddy
    11pm play with daddy
    12am nurse to sleep

of course i always changed her and nursed her whenever she wanted and we always played but this was a general day for us in the early months
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:19 AM on May. 22, 2009

• We don't have a set schedule. Our babies are in daycare, so they have somewhat of a routine there. We demand feed, so that doesn't help with a schedule. I will say though that by 10pm they are ready to go to bed and it seems to be getting earlier this week... like 9:30. They are 4 months old and we have tried to do night time routine around 6 weeks or so and it seems to have helped bedtime.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 9:26 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My son is just about 5 months. He takes naps whenever...theres not a set schedule for them but bed time we have a routine cereal, bath, then bottle and he is in bed by 11 every night. He started sleeping through the night at the end of 3 months old.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:03 AM on May. 22, 2009