• In the Spotlight:

What are Democrats on the Hill DOING? Doesn't this seem a little childish???

WASHINGTON -- Democrats in the House Energy and Commerce Committee have taken a novel precaution to head off Republican efforts to slow action this week on a sweeping climate bill.

THEY ARE HIRING A SPEED READER

Republicans on the committee have said they may force the reading of the entire 946-page bill -- as well as major amendments that measure several hundred pages -- all aloud. This is a procedure lawmakers have a right to invoke. Republicans are largely against the bill, which aims to cut emissions of so-called greenhouse gases by more than 80% over the next half-century but would be costly.

Republicans haven't tried the tactic, but Committee Chairman Henry Waxman (D., Calif.) is prepared.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124278191732237461.html

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:38 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Republicans are concerned about another 900 plus page Bill that could increase utilities, possibly contain Pork, AND that NO ONE has time to read....

They are wanting to stall/prevent the bill. They may request a right and Dems are going to have a speed reader, "on call". How is the Responsible and Transparent?

Isn't this basically saying, THERE IS NO DEBATE. We will pass this even without your input or concerns?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:41 AM on May. 22, 2009

• You know, dern it, Democrats have the country's best interest at heart!

Deeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!

They always do!

If they could only get the speed reader to grant them common sense, they'd be all set..........................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:09 AM on May. 22, 2009

• This is positively shameful. I can't help but think that this would be one more piece of info for anyone running against these Dems in the future. If this doesn't reek of not putting the American taxpayer's interest before politics, then I suppose in some eyes nothing reeks in this administration. If I had Dems in office that were subscribing to this kind of childish antic I would take my kids and sit in their office while they explain to me why I should require my kids to do all of their work when they claim that they shouldn't have to do all of theirs. What ever happened to lead by example?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:23 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Both sides act like kindergarten kids.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on May. 22, 2009

• clapping

Quinn: why I should require my kids to do all of their work when they claim that they shouldn't have to do all of theirs. What ever happened to lead by example?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:28 AM on May. 22, 2009

• You said it Quinn! This is all so nauseating.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:13 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Are you kidding? No I guess not.

These people all need to be fired.
    they have three jobs-
    1) write laws
    2)read them
    3) vote on them

They had to delegate part of that? No, they want it passed before their constituents fire them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:38 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I am feeling pretty disgusted with DC in general lately.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:10 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Yes it is childish but with the way things are going I wonder if Americans will just say "oh ok then, at least it was read". They showed a woman speed reading on Fox this morning and you could hardly understand every third word. Besides it will take the speedreader 12-15 hours to read it. Is everyone sitting there listening or are they goin gto explain it all to them after speedy finishes reading it? Crazy . Please America don't fall for this crap
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:01 PM on May. 22, 2009

• If they cannot be bothered to read the legislation they are to enact, they should not be there in the first place. When they stand for re-election, regardless of your party affiliation, take a close look at attendance records and ask them how many of the bills they read and understood before they voted on them.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:44 PM on May. 22, 2009