Is this normal? My 8 month has a new habit of a middle of the night bottle.

And she really needs it she freaks out bloody murder for it. She only takes two bottles during the day a morning and night should I give her a third one or does she not need it I was going to let her just cry but man oh man she is really hungry how do I stop this and is it normal??

Asked by model4u at 5:46 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they should be able to go though the night with out a bottle. i gave in to my first and he woke every night for it for over a yr,
    with my others i let them cry to sleep for the few nights it took, cos i was gonna go though gettin up in the night again for another yr, now they just sleep though i wont make that mistake on giving in again but it all depends on how u feel about it,

Answer by sammy04k at 6:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I just read something for my sister about this because her 11m old was still getting up for a middle of the night bottle. I read that you have to actually just let them cry it out. They aren't hungry in the middle of the night. It's more of just a comfort thing. My sister just tried to let her son put himself back to sleep and for about a week it wasn't pleasant for her, but he's fine now. He sleeps through the night no problem. It's not going to be easy, but you have to at least try to get her to go back to sleep without a bottle.

Answer by jtgraham at 8:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• sometimes my baby who is 11 months sitll needs the bottle in the middle of the night..but not often. try giving her a snack right before bed..maybe even something hearty like oatmeal..that might hold her a little longer.

Answer by froghopper at 9:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It is possible that your baby is going through a growth spurt, needing the extra feeding. Perhaps a later or larger feeding before putting her to bed would help =)

Answer by New2WAHJ at 10:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• your baby should still be getting about 20oz of formula a day. that's where most of their nutrition needs to come from.

Answer by mel808 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My youngest would take 3 full bottles at that age in the middle of the night! We just stopped giving them to her, and instead brought her a drink of water in a cup...after a couple of nights she was fine and didn't scream bloody murder for her bottles any more, I knew she was getting enough formula durring the day, I think it was just a habbit with her by then.

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 10:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• maybe she need a bit more in the day like bigger food portions? I've just had to up my almost 1 yr old sons bedtime bottle to 9oz to get him to sleep thru. If only there was some kinda manual hey!!

Answer by MeAndLo at 3:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If she's hungry, give it to her. My pediatrician always told me that I should feed my son as much as HE wants. You could try to give her a little more food during the day to see if she will sleep through the nighttime feeding, but if she's really hungry, she's going to wake up for it no matter what you do. Besides... she's probably getting close to another growth spurt... so this might just be a phase.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:36 AM on Jun. 22, 2008