Did anyone else potty train this way?

We're potty training our two year old and decided to try harder because in July he's having a baby sister. We've been setting a timer and taking him every 30 minutes....and it is exhausting! Has anyone else ever used this method? It's what the MIL said to do. If you did use this method, did it work for you?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 8:08 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is what i do with my daughter, I put her on the potty when she gets up in the morning, after she has her breakfast, if we go out i put her on before we leave and ask he while we r out if she needs to go sometimes i dont have to ask she will tell me. I also take her after her dinner and right before bed. This establishes a routine for her and it seems to work but also gurls r easier to train i hear. My boys, i did routine for them too..... be consistant then it will become habit for them. Good Luck and make sure everyone takes a part in the training so he wont to try and slip off the wagon. She goes to my parents house and ask to use the potty there also.
    blackpanther75

Answer by blackpanther75 at 8:54 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Boys do not have to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes. There's a good chance that forcing him to go sit on the toilet that often is going to make things harder because he's going to start hating it...and fighting it. (happened with my oldest) Not only that, you're tied to the house for however long it takes for him to "train" that way unless you can make it to a public bathroom every 30 minutes if you're out.

There are two ways.....wait until they're ready and have a shorter, easier time because they're more willing. Or...start trying to push the issue before they're ready and have potential fights and battles with it taking longer. Either way the end result is just about the same time. (I've seen it done both ways)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Wow, sounds exhausting. We use the reward system. We bought a big thing of gumballs 3 days ago for my cousins 2 yr old (she lives with me). SInce then we've only had 2 accidents. She says "I want num" and I say only if you potty. She says "K" and goes. So the trick is to find something he reallly wants and only give it to him if he actually goes. Good luck.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 8:32 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I do agree though, that if he's not ready then he's just not ready. You can't force it, or he may just not potty train for a LONG time out of defiance.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 8:33 AM on May. 22, 2009

• He knows...trust me. He knows, he just doesn't want to go to the toilet. There are times when he'll go in there and sit on his own, but for the most part he just takes off his pull up and goes and gets a new one when he wets his. We've tried the rewards system. Everything from toys to candy, and it didn't work. It's like he just doesn't care. About anything...actually....we've tried several ways to dicipline too and he doesn't give a crap about any of that either. If we take away his toys he's like "oh well," if we spank he might cry for a minute and then tries to go right back to what got him spanked to begin with.....same with time outs..... my kid is just really really stubborn. And I guess i should have expected that, his father being who he is and me being who I am, but it's really getting hard to deal with.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:39 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I did that with my son. When I could tell that he was ready, I made plans to stay home with him for a week with nowhere I had to be....I told him that we were gonna stop using the diapers and he was gonna wear big boy undies and potty in his potty. I put him in either tighty whities or let him run naked. I made sure to take him and have him sit and "try" every 30 minutes. When he finally went in the potty, I praised him and made a really big deal out of it. So, he then kinda cought on. We kept this up until he could anticipate it coming and run to sit all by his self. Which brought on more praise. By the end of the week, he was day trained completely and night trained almost. He had a couple accidents at night. But, within another week or two, those stopped as well. I only tried one pull-up and realized they weren't for us. He was able to wipe by 3. Potty trained at 2.5
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:00 AM on May. 22, 2009

• we did 2 hours at the day care. IF they didn't go then, then tray again in 30 minutes, if not then, then every 15 minutes until they go. Kids should be able to hold their bladder for 2-3 hours before potty training. If they can't, they aren't ready yet.
    Anonymous

• With my daughter we did every hr n like someone else said when she woke up after breakfast mid way during play or whatever..before n after going to store or out...before n after dinner n before bed...no liquids 2 hrs before bed.
    MamaOf3Girls09

Answer by MamaOf3Girls09 at 1:44 PM on May. 22, 2009