Are current trends making anyone else feel old?

I just saw a commercial for Sketchers Hy-Top tennis shoes.....hi-tops? Hi-tops are coming back in?!?!?! And I've seen Jelly Shoes again too... are people going to start wearing the side ponytail and big shoulder pads again?
I think I feel like my mom felt when I got my first pair of flared pants...she said they reminded her too much of bellbottoms....

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 9:20 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• LOL! i feel your pain. Im sooo confused about myself, as I am looking at my youth in the stores. I would love to buy new clothes but i feel like when i put the so -called new trends (of my twenties) i feel like one of those older ladies who has advanced past 16...(shes 60, but dresses 16!) So i dont know who I am or how to express myself with new fashion...I dont want to be one of those (45 year olds actually) who cant decide what age they are...so i get depressed and go home..Im sooo confused as to who I am...fashionally speaking...arrrrg!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I am right there w/u ladies! Its so frustrating! Btw...the side ponytail is in, just a lil diff than when we did it. Its a low ponytail where we wore ours high, u kno-screamin 4 attn?! LOL
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 9:48 AM on May. 22, 2009

• that always happends trends go away and than come back....for example bell bottoms...and hightops...I cant rmeember a time they werent in...as long as I've been around they've been in...
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 10:51 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Yeah those high top keds are in and yeah the neon colors. I always thought that look in the 80's was so fugly and sure enough it is coming back.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 3:12 PM on May. 22, 2009

• When Disco came back....

I knew! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:09 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Absolutely! When I see styles that are variations on what I laugh at in old pictures, it makes it really hard for me to even think of buying them. Dolman sleeves? Been there, done that, laughed at the pictures of me in them. big tunic sweater over skinny leggings? I was so over that by 10th grade. It's really hard to find things that look good, aren't dowdy, and don't make me feel silly!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:50 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Yes, it definitely makes me feel old to se all the clothes that I remember from my youth being sold to people too young to remember them the first time! I have a few 80s inspired outfits, but can't get too deeply into it. If big hair comes back, I am SO outta here! LOL!
    I see the high top sneakers all the time when I am walking my kids to school and other the other tween/teens are walking to school too. High tops and skinny jeans... man that takes me back!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:22 AM on May. 23, 2009

• History always repeats itself!! I sure wish I could repeat the 80's!!! Best years of my life. Big hair/best music/leg warmers/new wave and Michael Jackson was a man!!!

Dam,,,I'm old!!! haha
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 8:59 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I am approaching my 63d birthday, and I will tell you a little secret. I feel like I am 18. The reason I feel like I am 18 is that I refuse to buy into any of this faddish malarkey. I have always dressed for me. Sometimes, it's harder to do than others, but the truth is that there are always to be found the basic classic clothing that always looks smart and makes one feel her best at all times. The fashion police intend to make you feel "dated" in one way or another, but you don't have to buy into it. Ignore them all! Be yourself and have fun doing it! Life is grand even at 62 and 11/12ths.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:19 AM on May. 23, 2009

• This isnt about the hy-tops but I do put my dd's hair in a side pony tail when its long enough i think its cute on kids and I love to play with her hair
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 4:38 PM on May. 23, 2009