Need an opinion

My 19mth old son doesnt say alot of words, dada mama and hi are pretty much it. He responds to his name sometimes and I notice when other people besides me or dad call his name he responds. He babbles alot and hums to certain songs, dances and loves playing with other kids. he plays match games and imaginative play and loves to play with his car. he seems normal to me except for the speech thing and not responding to his name all the time. he follows simple instructions like come here, or please give me your cup, give mommy kiss, stand up. Does this sound like anything to worry about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He sounds normal to me mom. I have a dd with autism, he is 19 months so his vocab sounds normal....he has much more time to grow.

no problems mom..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My 20 month old is the same way. He follows directions fairly well, will throw things away when asked to, will bring things to you, go to daddy and give him kisses, etc. when told to, but he doesn't talk. We started teaching him sign language so he could communicate with us. He now signs "more, please, apple, and aunty" we're working on "food, drink,thank you," and he's actually been talking more. He now kinda says please when he wants something. This is the site I've been using to teach myself sign: http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi I have been learning words we use regularly, and I sign to him whenever I say the word to him. He's picked up on it rather well. And no, he hears fine, it's not because he's not hearing..I just wanted hidm to have a way to communicate. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:24 AM on May. 22, 2009

• my boys are 18 mo , same thing here! as long as he responds enjoy the no talking!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 9:25 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Is he your first child? if so then this is normal. Even if he is not your only child it is still nothing to worry about. First children tend to take their time slower for some reason. My son was the same way and he was my first. I told everyone he was just being a sponge. He was soaking it all in because when he started talking, he was talking really good and better than most other kids his age. he is now 3 years old and has a pretty good vocab. He has slowed a little because he has slurs and he mumbles. But doc.said that is normal for him. I also have an 18 month old daughter and she is a very big talker, but that is because she has her brother to learn by. Most of the time Mom's will see their second child progress faster than the first did. If he hits the age of 2 and is not talking (which I think he will be) then take him to his Pediatrician and see what he thinks. Good Luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:25 AM on May. 22, 2009

• It's okay, kids develop at different times. He sounds pretty normal to me. My kiddo didn't have a very extensive vocab, but a little after he turned two: BAM! He can use sentences and just talks, talks, talks! If you are really concerned take him to a dr, but he sounds okay to me!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:26 AM on May. 22, 2009

• If you are worried about his speech call your local department of health and ask for early intervention, they will evaluate your child and if they need help they will provide it, I always say it is better to be safe then sorry!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 9:31 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Thank you so much ladies. My son is my second child, I have a 14 yr old that constantly talks to him as well. my teen was a chatterbox at my sons age. I feel better though. Your words are very encouraging. Thanks again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My son is the same way - seems like a pattern with boys -they tend to be more active and less likely to have speech as soon as some girls - I know my niece was talking more at my sons age ( almost 19 months also )
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:42 AM on May. 22, 2009

• when you say babble.. is it like he is talking really fast and saying my different sounds? If so he may be speaking more words than you know he knows how to say.. it's just he talks to fast.. this happened with my DD.. we started talking slower around her, and she did the same and her vocabulary seemed to triple in a matter of a week or two because she was taking the time to actually say the words she meant to say.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:43 PM on May. 22, 2009