hello everyone, i will be moving to franklin TN within a month and i would like some advice regarding how life is down there, quality of life, weather, rent, and elementary schools... i am a single mom my son is 5 and i am scared to death that this would not be the best choice...i heard that nashville has a lot of crimes and franklin is only 20 min away from it ... please give me some advice i would really appreciate it .. thank you

right now i live in burlington, vt i am moving because of a job offer...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Franklin is actually the upper class part of Nashville. You won't really have to worry about gangs or random violence there. Around here we have "normal" weather. Winter is from November to February or March, cold is about 10-20 degrees (which might actually be warm to you, lol). Our summers get up to the 100s, which wouldn't be so bad, except that it's ALWAYS humid around here. So weather it's 70 or 100 degrees out, you'll be sweating. If you're moving soon, plan on living in tank tops and shorts for a couple months. Cost of living is higher in Franklin than it is where I live (I live in KY, about an hour from Nashville). But I've never been to Vermont, but I would guess it is cheaper than Vermont. I can't tell you much about schools. Nashville isn't that bad, just don't get stuck in the wrong neighborhood, and be prepared to take the interstate and bypasses everyday, which can be jammed pretty bad during rush hours.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:11 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Oh and I wanted to add that Franklin is a part of Nashville, just on the outskirts. You're still considered part of Nashville. I would suggest that you get a really good map for Nashville, because if you're not familiar with the area, it's easy to get lost because it's so big. Maps and/or navigators are awesome. I go to Nashville pretty frequently and I still take maps with me.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:14 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I live in Franklin, actually was raised there. It's a wonderful town! The crime in Nashville isn't that bad and we're far away from it. Williamson County has great schools! Rent isn't bad depending on where you look. Try Ashley Court, which is located right off Hillsboro Road. There is an elementary and middle school close enough to walk to. The weather is really nice also, depending on what you consider nice. It gets VERY hot in July and August (between mid eights to high nineties and humid). It stays warm till late October. You will laugh hystarically in the winter. Every time there is a forecast for snow (snow being one to two inches that melts by 10 am) everyone rushes to the grocery store to stock up on bread and canned goods, and they close the schools. We don't get much snow, maybe once to twice in the winter. By April it's warm spring weather and we get a fair amount of rain.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 10:17 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I've lived in Franklin my whole life, like I said, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I think you are making a wonderful choice. And now you already have a friend down here. Feel free to send me a message. I'll give you my phone number and will be happy to show you around! Hope to hear from you soon!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 10:19 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My husband goes to Franklin ever year for a training class for work and what we have sensed is that its an upscale town. Every building is brick, even the restaurants. Its a very nice place and lots of country celebs live there such as Billy Ray, Amy and Vince Gill, The Judds....ect. He said that he has never seen so many beautiful homes there and got the impression it was the upscale side of Nashville. Good luck with your move and I would also assume that with the money comes the better schools too.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:20 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Franklin is NOT considered a part of Nashville, or even a suburb of Nashville. It's a city all by it's self. Traffic around rush hour can be a pain but it really depends on where you are going. Rent can be expensive, but I can help you find something cheaper on the edge of Nashville so you will be close to Franklin. It's true you can get lost, but like I said, I'll help you find your way around.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 10:25 AM on May. 22, 2009

• HaydensMommy, to people who live in Franklin, it's not considered Nashville, but to everyone else, it is. It's still part of the metropolitan area. People in Franklin consider themselves to be "separate" because they're rich.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon:27. I used to live in Nashville and still visit pretty often, I know what I'm talking about.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:07 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Anon27, that was uncalled for. I'm not going to get into a debate with anyone when all this lady is asking for is some information and encouragement. However, I will say that it is very hurtful to be told that I consider myself "seperate" from Nashville because I'm rich, especally when you don't even know me. I am not rich... far from it! I'm just a person trying to help out a single mom who is moving to a strange new city and offering some friendship.

Oh and, I consider myself seperate from Nashville because I live in a seperate city and county.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 3:09 PM on May. 22, 2009