How much coffee do you drink while pregnant?

I have been drinking about a cup a day everyday, but it's the 1/2 caffeine can. I'm also not taking my prenatal vitamin regularly. I have days where I feel sick and can't take it if I do I just throw it up. I have my next doctors appoinment next week and maybe then I'll get my prenatal changed. Anyhow do you think I'm keeping the baby from the nutrients he/she needs and how much caffeine is alright?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• take flinstone vitamins if prenatals make you sick
    and a cup aday is ok
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:07 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I have had a cup of coffee every morning. I never changed that when i found out i was pregnant. My doctor told me that a cup is fine just make sure you are drinking watter. I had the same problem with my vitamins and i was told to take 2 flinstone vitamins. That helped alot till i started to get heartburn. But i take them with a glass of milk every night before bed. Your doing fine i had morning sickness so bad that i couldnt take any pills for about the first 2 months. And they tell me that my baby is doing great.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:10 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I didn't have coffee every day with my pregnancies but my doctor told me 2 or 3 a week is okay. I agree with Mrs. owen86. I could only take the flintstone chewy vitamins. if you are drinking sodas with caffeine in it also, then you are getting too much caffeine in one day. You should cut the sodas to sprite or diet sprite(not much taste difference), juices, water, and or gatorade.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:10 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My vitamin made me sick with my second so i started taking it right before I went to bed with a cracker and water. It stopped bothering me! I don't drink coffee but I would limit myself to 1/2 can of pop per day.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:35 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I don't drink caffeine at all while pregnant since it can make you more at risk for miscarriage. I wouldn't worry about the amount you are drinking, but don't drink more than that, not even coke or whatever else that has caffeine.

"2-cup coffee habit may double miscarriage risk" You can read about it here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22718279/

(sorry. somehow I had the wrong link before).
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:41 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Studies say each cup increases your risk for miscarriage...*personally* I really don't think one cup (especially the 1/2 caffeine kind) is going to hurt anything. I have a cup here and there **gasp** sometimes even two. As for the prenatals - go to the health food store and pick up some Rainbow Lite prenatals. They are made from food sources and are more natural/easily absorbed. I could not even take Flinstones because they made me sick but loved the Rainbow Lites.
    Caramelturtle

Answer by Caramelturtle at 10:53 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I didnt have any caffeine... but I would try taking your pills right before bed! I did and it worked great When i took them in the morning i would feel sick all day
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 11:17 AM on May. 22, 2009

• i take my prenatals before i go to bed cus they made me sick, and made my stomach feel hollow, so i take them before i go to bed, and no problems anymore.
    mommy2be1308

Answer by mommy2be1308 at 11:40 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Fortunately, I do not like the taste of coffee. I did crave soda in this pregnancy...I was drinking about two cans of soda a week and then decided since I eat so much junk/fast food that I need to cut one bad thing out of my diet. So, I did...I quit soda (all carbonated drinks) 6 weeks ago, cold turkey. But, I've always taken my prenatal vitamins everyday. If you're healthy and have no pregnancy complications, I'm sure your baby is doing well... I wouldn't worry, but, if you are...ask your doctor what he thinks.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:54 AM on May. 22, 2009

• i drink coffee maybe 1 in 2 weeks or cuz i dont like too much the taste of coffee i used to eat alot of fruits that have alot of vitamins i eat mangoes,pineapples,grapes ect. but i didn't use to drink alot of soda either because that wasn't good for the baby..
    Rosmery91

Answer by Rosmery91 at 1:00 PM on May. 22, 2009