Poor baby getting lots of teeth.

My daughter has adapted very well to eating cereal and baby food, and has always eaten very well before now. Lately she eats about 5 bites of her cereal/baby food and then refuses to eat the rest. I have been giving her cheerios and graham crackers in addition, but I'm worried that she isn't eating enough. She eats about 7 ounces in her bottles 4 times a day. She IS getting eight teeth at the same time right now so I assume that has something to do with it. Is it okay if she continues to eat the way she has been at least until those teeth push through all the way? Or should I try feeding her more often.....what is the right course of action here?
On another note, has anyone else's child gotten so many teeth all at once? Sophie is only 7 1/2 months old and she already has the top two and bottom two teeth. Now she is getting the two pairs right next to both of those sets. Kid's gonna have a mouth full of teeth by one year old!

Sophia_L

Asked by Sophia_L at 10:15 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd (9.5 months) is the complete opposite! She will eat solid foods, but will only eat a couple of oz of a bottle at a time. She can't figure out how to drink from a cup, so that isn't working either.
    She has the bottom two incisors, top left lateral incisor, and is in the process of getting her two top incisors and right lateral as well as the two bottom laterals right now. Whew!

She ate almost 2/3 cup of oatmeal for breakfast and a few bites of applesauce ( not her fave) as well as a few Cheerios/ Gerber Puffs...she had a bottle at 6 am... it was 8.5 oz, but she ate 5.5 of it.. She will not eat baby food if it is cold at all, so I nuke it for 10 seconds. She doesn't like teethers either(she prefers the 3 yr old's Mega Blocks...shaking head)... I give mine Hurricaine Gel and teething tablets as well as some Tylenol for the pain..although I only give her the Tylenol at night at bedtime.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:38 AM on May. 22, 2009

• It is normal for her to teeth like that. Look at it this way, she is getting them out of the way. The older she gets, the worse teething is going to affect her.

As far as her eating, she will be fine as long as she is eating her milk. What I would do is get the baby orajel that has the finger brush with it. rub and massage her gums good. maybe then she will eat some baby food. you can try putting the jar food in the refrigerator and get it good and cold and then see if she will eat it. it may feel good on her gums.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:19 AM on May. 22, 2009

• It is completely normal for her eating patterns to change when teething. If I was in that much pain, I might not feel like eating either. If she is hungry she will eat, just keep offering food.
    The order and when teeth come in are different for every baby. My dd is getting her four top teeth all at once and got her first when she was 5 months. The best determiner is genetics. If you and your SO got teeth early then she is just following suite. Just give her lots of cold stuff to chew on and lots of love!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:22 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My daughter got her first two teeth before she was even 4 months old! It seemed like she got a little break after that, but in the last month she has just been sprouting teeth like nobody's business. She hates oragel( she gags and screams the few times I've tried giving it to her) and it doesn't seem to help.

She doesn't seem to like the teethers either :) If she has to hold onto it, it's just too much work for her. She's the same way with her bottle sometimes she'll hold onto her own and sometimes she just can't be bothered. Especially since mommy is right there to take control of the situation:)

She doesn't like her food cold either...it has to be lukewarm. She acts like she's just disgusted with it if it gets cold.

I guess I'll just kind of ride it out and keep doing what I've been doing. Thanks for all the help girls:)
    Sophia_L

Answer by Sophia_L at 11:19 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My 11 month old currently has 6 teeth and I was really a lucky mom. She very rarely fussed with any of them. She chewed on her bottles, teethers, anything but refused to let us use orajel so I just gave up there. Currently she's working on a couple more teeth and I'm hoping they come in soon. The runny nose is what gets me.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:08 PM on May. 22, 2009

• both of my kids had all of their teeth before they were 1 year old...
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 12:24 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Omg I thought my daughter was the only one going through this because everyone I spoke to doesn't remember their kids having teeth so young. My daughter got her first 2 at 4 months. Now also 71/2 months she has eight. Four one top and four bottom. The teething doesn't seem to interfere with her eating habits. It just interrupt her sleep. The doctor told me not to use orajel because she'll swallow to much of it, to use Tylenol instead. If she's eating her food like usually I wouldn't change anything.

Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 4:00 PM on May. 22, 2009