Membrane stripping...

So Ive been about 2cm for a week now and my doctor told me that at my next appointment on the 1st i can have my membranes stripped and that could help with labor. I didnt ask the doctor and she just assumed i knew but what exactly are they stripping and what does the process entail? does it hurt? and have any of you had this done and it put you into labor? i think ive heard that it doesnt always work.. just curious!! :]

USMC_Elisa

Asked by USMC_Elisa at 10:43 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They do a vaginal exam and they strip the membranes away from your walls to help start labor. ITs slightly painful but I had my daughter 72 hours later. They go 360 degrees around inside your vagina to loosen it all up.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:45 AM on May. 22, 2009

• The doctor wants to use his fingers to sweep around the inside of your cervix to separate the bag of waters. They claim that this can start labor. IMO it's another unnecessary intervention that can be painful and just introduces bacteria up there...not to mention increases your risk for PROM (premature rupture of membranes). I'm sure you will get a lot of responses saying that it worked for them...but it won't work unless your body is already *ready* to go into labor anyway.
    Caramelturtle

Answer by Caramelturtle at 10:48 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I had it done both times with my two kids. Only one worked for me. with my first child, he was born (induced) on his due date. my second, my daughter was born two weeks before her due date. my membranes were stripped the day before. once she stripped my membranes I went home and me and my hubby went walking and my water broke that night around 4am.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:53 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Imagine your uterus and bag of waters like 2 balloons inside of eachother, the Dr will stich his fingers up there and seperate the 2 balloons from eachother and the irritation is said to cause contractions in about %50 of women. It is uncomfortable and is asociated with lower cramping for a few days if you dont go into labor. But if you are already 2 cm, I would say your body is ready, and you mighthave a good chance of it working fairly well for you. Alot of times too it will help you to dilate more, by the Dr stretching things out up there it may push you over to a 3 possibly. GL
    Anonymous

• It hurt like hell!!! I did go into labor the next night and delivered 17 hours later.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:19 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I don't think it hurt. It was uncomfortable but it was the day after my due date and I would do anything to get my son out. I started getting contractions right away and gave birth two days later. You will get cramps and maybe a little spotting.
    Anonymous