Gestational Diabetes.

I got my Glucose screening results back. My doctor said it should be in the 130s--- Mine was 176. I will be going back for a 3 hour glucose screening, Im nervous. What are the chances of me having the gestational diabetes--- That numbers A LOT higher then it should be, The higher the number, is the more the risk??. Please someone inform me.

Mrsdenick28

Asked by Mrsdenick28 at 10:49 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a horrible experience and in MY opinion I believe that this was completely unnecessary for my pregnancy. I was only having "high" (103-105) numbers in the morning every once in a while and they put me on insulin and then when I continued to have "high" numbers they wanted to raise my insulin. I controlled my GD with my diet and later on with the aforementioned insulin. It was a big deal to me because even the diabetes educator's were in disagreement with my OB (who I refuse to EVER see EVER again). I finally had to make my OWN "diet" to level myself out. The stress that they put me under was awful. I ended up with a 7lbs 2oz baby 4 days late. Please if it comes back as positive, I can help you. The info that I received didn't make any sense to me, carbs before bed (duh, that equals high numbers in the morning) and snacks all day long...ugh, seems like this is an individual based problem NOT a plan that works for everyone
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:21 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I dont know the chances... but my sister in law had it.... And I can insure you that it is not a HUGE deal!!! Her son is completely fine and actually advanced for his age!!! If you have it you just take your shots and watch what you eat!!! Promise everything will be ok!!! :) GOOD LUCK!
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 10:55 AM on May. 22, 2009

• OH honey...I had GD with my last pregnancy and found A LOT of the info that the doctors will give you to be a whole lotta bunk, so if you want to PM me for ANY info please do. I would love to help.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:57 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I failed my first test with my last child. I did pass the 3 hr test but my doc was concerned about my symptoms as well. The biggest thing I noticed was that I could not tolerate sugar of any kind. If I ate anything with sugar in it such as a soda or chocolate, I would get very tired, and lethargic. I would sometimes sweat and feel as if my blood sugar was low even though I just ate. I had to eat very small meals. I didnt gain a pound. I think because I stopped eating sugar...LOL...Now if I could make that work now, I would be set!...Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:06 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My sister is a nurse/midwife and a certified diabetes educator. Doctors know very little about diabetes and nothing about nutrition. You need to insist on a referral to a CDE and a nutritionist.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Actually, I beg to differ about GD not being a big deal... It is vital that IF you have it that you follow your nutritionist's orders...I've had it twice now...
    Risks- low birth weight, high birth weight, jaundice, low blood sugar in baby after delivery, difficult deliveries resulting in broken clavicles, etc... and last but not least stillbirth. You are also at risk for developing Type 2 within 10 yrs of your first diagnosis and you child is at risk for juvenile diabetes.
    My first pregnancy was a stillbirth caused by mismanagement of my GD by the high risk doctor.
    My second pregnancy I was heavily monitored and was insulin dependent.
    Many women fail the first test and pass the second, so try not to stress about it. If you have it, you'll survive! Good luck to you!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:09 PM on May. 22, 2009

• They tried scaring me with all the info they could, but I knew that I was OK and my baby was OK. I can't stress to listen to your body and use your intuition. You know yourself better then ANYONE else (and that INCLUDES the doctors!). I plan on NOT being tested the next time, I have a meter and I will test myself from the get-go and if I notice a problem THEN I will take it to whatever OB I see.

The insulin made me feel like I was going to fall down, I would loose my balance. I checked my blood gluclose and it was dropping me like a rock and they still wanted me to raise it even though it was NOT warranted. Read my journal post.....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:25 PM on May. 22, 2009