Should I let my 4 year old quit Tball?

My son Billy is 4 years old, he loves to play baseball with his Dad and I, so we thought it would be a good idea to sign up for Tball. He is the youngest on the team by a year, and even though he has the skills, he can't seem to stay on track. The past 4 practices he has had complete melt downs, and that is not in his character. He has bowled for a year and loves it. We are getting ready to start games and now we are going to be doing this 4 times a week! This was supposed to be fun for everyone, but has turned into stress for all of us. I do not want to send the message it is okay to quit, but feel it is my fault because he is not mature enough to handle it. What should I do?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 10:53 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do it before the games start if they havent already. I think that youre right. Hes just not mature enough. A whole year younger is a big difference. Good luck. Bowling sounds fun!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:01 AM on May. 22, 2009

• ask the coach to work with him a little bit, ask the coach what you guys can do at home to improve. I wouldn't let him quit yet. If it doesn't get any better or gets worse after the next few practices then yes i would pull him out. but talk to the coach to see if he can get you LO to get to the level with the other kdis.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:55 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Maybe he just isn't ready. I don't think you should push him if it's just not fun for him. If he's having more fun bowling, then you already know the answer. Your a good mom, you'll figure it out.
    April0040

Answer by April0040 at 11:09 AM on May. 22, 2009

• There is a huge difference between teaching him to quit or realizing that he is not ready and taking him out. My daughter was in dance class and she loved it and then got bored with it and wanted to quit. I would not let her and made her fulfill her commitment to the teacher and after the recital she did not have to re-register. BUT if she was clearly struggling, I would have taken her out simply because I would not want her to end up hating the event and never want to do it again. You sound like you are very in tune with your son and if you feel that waiting a year would be best, then do that! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:04 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Our daughter loves kicking a soccer ball around. So I took a baby step and found a soccer class for 3 year olds. It was 4 classes. She had melt downs the first 2 times. She stayed for the 4th class for about 1/2 the time. Problems we encountered was she didn't like the jersey. She didn't like the shin guards. When she wanted to leave, we left after one "Give it one more try." I didn't want her hating organized sports. I realized she was young but I'm glad I made such a low investment in it.

This summer, I asked her if she wanted to do soccer again. It was enthusiasm all the way. But I'm still signing her up for only the 4 classes. And I'm still expecting melt downs.

You could have done this too early. Maybe you could pull him out and go to a game weekly and take your tee and bat and practice on the sidelines?
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:13 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Oh my gosh, I could have (and pretty much did) write that exact same thing, only about my 4 yr old daughter. I thought she would love tball, but hates it and wants to quit and tells me all the time. We debated it and decided since she wanted to do it, we would make her finish. It's not like it last very long anyway, not even a whole 3 months of once a week. She still despises practice but actually ended up liking the games, they are more exciting. She can't focus and does her own thing some of the time, but that's alright- some of the other girls do, too. She is also one of the youngest and gets intimidated bc some of the other girls are much better. At least she tried it, and we won't put her in it again unless she is older and decides too.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 11:18 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I just wanted to let you know, Billy is not playing Tball anymore, we took him one more time and enough is enough! I guess we will try again next year, thanks for all of your advice!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:33 AM on May. 27, 2009