Aveno skin relief bath treatment, on my dog? HELP!!!

It is for the relief of poison ivy, oak, sumac, insect bites, chicken pox, rashes, hives and ecema. The lable says it is safe to use on newborn babies. There are no warnings on it about using it on dogs so I dont see why it would be a problem. Can I use it on my dog for his skin irritation? He has been itching very bad latley and yesterday I shaved him naked so he can be cooler in the summer and I had no idea the extent of this rash on his body. He is normally black and white. He is now black and red.

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 11:02 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Pets

• A dog never has to be shaved due to heat. Dogs and cats have their own cooling system it is called panting. A dog will not over heat no matter how hot it is outdoors. As long as you always keep cold water down for him. as for the itching, give him a cool bath with Johnson's baby shampoo. Rinse him really good. Then you can put a little bit of baby oil on his skin. it should stop the itching and moisturize his skin. the aveeno will work too. Does he have fleas, ticks, or bug bites? If he is an outside dog it could be coming from bugs.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:05 AM on May. 22, 2009

• You might need to take him to the vet. He might have allergies, or it could be the start of a hotspot, and those can end up being huge if you don't take care of it. If you need to do it temporarily until you can get him in, I am sure it is fine, but take him to the vet asap.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:03 AM on May. 22, 2009

• he is an inside dog and he had fleas but my mother gave him a bath with flea shampoo last night and this morning, and all of my other dogs a potent flea dip, but I couldnt give him one because of his skin I didnt want it to burn him. The lable said that she even had to wear rubber gloves while bathing him and I wasnt even allowed in the room because Im pregnant. I just covered him in Aquaphor and put a old baby onsie on him so he wont lick it off or bite himself and it seems to be working for now. I shave him because he is a shi-zu and his hair will just get longer.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 11:13 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I would say vet too. Our dog would get a rash on her belly if she laid in the grass at all. They said to use a special spray made for pets. We got it from them and it worked great!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 11:14 AM on May. 22, 2009