Food question

When did you start giving your lil one cereal (like fruit loops or any kind)? Did they have teeth? And when should you start letting a lil one try using a spoon by themselves? Just curious...

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:06 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they should always have at least two teeth before they get cereal. I let my son and daughter have cereal at 7 months. I added a little bit of milk to it just for taste, and i let them start having a spoon at around 5 months.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:08 AM on May. 22, 2009

• lol my son is 9 months and is eating table foods... as far as a spoon by himself lol there is no way... he wouldnt know what to do and I would have food everywhere..... He is good at using his hands though
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 11:11 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Honestly, I gave mine cereal when WIC started giving cereal. I used it as finger food though, because he hated milk on his cereal. And still does. He ate mini shredded wheat with strawberry in the middle, multi-grain chexs, and kix. He never got the sugary kind until he was in school. My son had a mouthfull of teeth at a year old. And, my son was using a spoon before a year. In fact, he refused to pick up his first birthday cake with his hand. He asked for a spoon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:11 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Stay away from Fruit Loops; the food dyes can cause all sorts of problems. We used puffed rice and puffed kamut (another grain) as finger foods.
    Just

Answer by rkoloms at 11:25 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I'm never heard they HAVE to have two teeth before you give them cereal. Babies use they're gums and tounge to mash food. I started out with Gerber Puffs. They seem to dissolve easier than regular cereal. I waited until she was close to crawling thought. Now she grabs them by the handfull and shoves them in her mouth.,
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 11:57 AM on May. 22, 2009

• At 2 months she was eating baby cereal (I know not normal but she craved more food then she got on the bottle. Dr oked it.) Currently 11 months and eating quite a bit of the table food. 6 teeth in all. She's no where ready for a spoon but great with her hands.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:59 AM on May. 22, 2009