making your on baby food...

Can you use canned veggies to puree if they have no salt added??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes... but I think it is best to use fresh vegetables
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 11:12 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Actually, I used fresh, frozen and canned foods. I experimented until I found which food worked best in what form. Like beets, I did canned and green beans. I found it wourked best with those. Fresh sweet potatoes. Fruit was fresh, frozen and canned.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:15 AM on May. 22, 2009

• okay! Thanks! I'm trying to find a way to make more for less! i never really realized how expensive it was for jar foods til now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 22, 2009

• You can, but it takes away ALOT of the nutritional value because of the perservatives and pressure cooking process. But if you are looking for ease sometimes it's "easier" to use canned food. I wouldn't and didn't use canned fruit becuase of the added pectin, syrup, and sugars. If you are talking about using foods that you have canned yourself, then there's a huge difference.

I found however...with my own testing, that #1 it's easier (honestly) with fresh, #2 it tastes better, no cross contamination of mettle can and such, #3 My daughter enjoyed it more when it was fresh, lets face it, so do we! Fresh fruits and veggies always taste better when they are fresh, not only that we derive more nurtients from them when they are freshed than when they have been processed for either canning, or freezing.

Happy mashing!!
    smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 11:23 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Not only are the jarred foods expensive, the stuff tastes nasty and you don't really know what is in them.
    the best book on feeding babies, toddler and their families is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; you should be able to find it at your local library; more information at www.superbabyfood.com.
    And here is a handy-dandy produce guide from the environmental working group (they also have a great guide to skincare products) http://www.foodnews.org/EWG-shoppers-guide-download-final.pdf

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 AM on May. 22, 2009

• It makes more sense to buy jarred if you are going to do it that way.... because it's been cooked at a high heat and a lot of the nutritional value is gone and there is added salts and preservitives that aren't in the jarred foods. I also read that the cans are lined with BPA if you are worried about that at all, and it leaks into the food during the canning process.
    What I did when I wasn't buying fresh was I used frozen... it worked great. Just make sure there isn't anything added. This winter I made peaches and some mixed veges for my son this way.

I found that apples and sweet potatoes were the easiest to make and made a TON for the money. Also banana's, while you can use them fresh get brown and mushy too fast... I peeled and cut them into thirds and threw them in a large baggie. They didn't brown at all (they do if you puree them) and they smashed up easier then when they were fresh!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:03 PM on May. 22, 2009