• In the Spotlight:

What's the going rate for babysitting these days?

My DH and I are in need of a night out! We know a few good candidates (from church) for babysitting. But I don't want to ask them until I know how much I should offer to pay them. This has never been an issue before, because only family has ever watched her.
More info:
My DD is 3. Very active.
I'd prefer the babysitter came to our house, rather than the other way around.
The girls I would ask are all between 16 and 18.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daugher is 13 and is a Red Cross certified babysitter; this means that she knows infant and child CPR and basic first aid. She charges $7 an hour. We live in Chicago (I know that rates vary).

I strongly suggest that you have the girl come for a visit/interview before she babysits. This will give the two of them a change to meet and let you see how they interact.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:00 PM on May. 22, 2009

• About $2.50/hour if it's everyday. For just one night I'd say $10-$20.
    Anonymous

• i pay my babysitter $25 for 1 full day.
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 3:35 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I paid my sitter $10 a day during the week, but if we wanted her to watch him on like a Saturday night, we gave her $25.
    babygirl13

Answer by babygirl13 at 4:29 PM on May. 22, 2009