My stepson is coming to live with us. Any suggestions?

Hi all . My 8 year old stepson is coming to live with us. His mom has decided that she wants to marry her other childs father, and she doesn't want my stepson in the way of that.. (awful, isn't it? ) Anyway. We bought a new house, that he won't get to see until 3 weeks from today when he moves in with us. All new everything, and wil be going to a different school. I know he'll be excited because he loves being here, but I know there will be tough times, but my question is. How can I help him to adjust quickly and easily? Going to a new school, new church, living in a new home. I'm worried it's going to be alot on him, and I want to make sure that I do everything I can to make it as easy as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, I don't know really. Just make it like your regular day to day life I guess. Don't treat him any differently from the other kids you may have in the house. Is this custody arrangement going through the court? If not I would so she doesn't come and say she wants him back.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Set aside an area that is just his, let him know it is his "safe" area for when he feels overwhelmed or stressed. Offer to listen anytime he wants to talk, but know that there are going to be many times where he wont want to. Get him a journal and let him express his feelings there if he wants, either coloring pictures or actually writing them out. Keep the schedule pretty much as normal as possible, and take things kinda slow. If he doesn't want to attend church that first Sunday, don't be offended, maybe spend the day at a local park instead. See if he can get a tour of the school and maybe even meet some of his teachers... Do you happen to know of any kids that will be in his grade in the area? See about inviting them over to play in the back yard for a day or two... If he knows a few kids and a teacher or two, school wont feel as scary... But most of all, just give him time to adjust in his way. Set the rules up front.
    Mi_Chelly

Answer by Mi_Chelly at 5:36 PM on May. 22, 2009

• be patient with him change is hard for anyone take ur time and try talking to him and doing things with him show him there r fun things to do and he will see u r trying and that u do love him but the most important thing is patient and everything will ture out just fine good luck and god bless u
    Naline

Answer by Naline at 3:06 AM on May. 24, 2009