11 week old gets up A LOT every night

My 11-week DD sleeps in her own room in her crib and has been doing so for about 3 weeks. She wakes up all the time. She'll wake up every 2-3 hours, (sometimes every hour) sometimes to eat, sometimes just because she was startled and can't get back to sleep. It is very exhausting. Is there anything I can do? We usually go in every time she wakes up and feed her or rock her back to sleep.

danielp

Asked by danielp at 11:26 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did that until 8 months old. You just get use to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Sorry, mom, this is normal My daughter was 8 month old before she slept six solid hours. This is nothing; the bigger the child the bigger the problems.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:28 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Unfortunately, they're right. There's not much you can do. Does she go down at the same time every night? Do you have a night time routine? Do you go in immediately when she wakes up. Try waiting ten minutes before you go get her. Babies need to learn to put themselves back to sleep. Good luck!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 11:51 AM on May. 22, 2009

• i know it's exhausting! but it will pass. she is only a newborn after all. her tummy is tiny so she will be hungry often (and yes around the clock), therefore need diaper changes often, and need to be burped often, and she is brand new to the world, needs security, so will need to be held often! it will pass. it will get better. just keep coming to your baby when she fusses/cries! if you need a break have SO, family or friends help out. my son didnt sleep through the entire night till he was 10 m/o. he self-weaned off night feedings then also. some babies do this earlier! as your baby grows she will sleep sounder at night. she'll fall into a better feeding schedule on her own too! GL and as overtired as you are, enjoy this time! they grow fast!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:52 AM on May. 22, 2009

• good luck thats how my kids ended up in the bed with me i was too tired so if i put them in my bed they would sleep thats probly your only option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 22, 2009

• haydensmommy is right! babies do need to learn to fall back asleep on their own, but 11 weeks is still a little young for that. i didnt do the cio method, but a lighter version allowing my son to fuss for only a few minutes after laying him down. he might have just needed to get comfy, or let out his steam from stimuls during the day. if it escalated or kept on, then I'd check on him, pick him up and do my thing till he was good to go, and that was that! around 4 or 5 months is when he started getting the hang of things! its all about patience mama =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:55 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Yes we have a routine and she seems to understand when it's bedtime, but she jerks herself awake a lot and since we don't want to listen to her cry, we get up and comfort her. It is so exhausting, esp. cause I work full-time. At the same time, I kinda like it cause I feel like I"m spending time with her since she goes to bed so early. I bring her in bed with me sometimes but that doesn't seem to matter, she still wakes up a lot.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:24 PM on May. 22, 2009

• A tight swaddle will help with her startaling, also if you get some white noise in her room it will help (we turn on the bathroom fan that's right next to his room) or they sell these sleep sheep that have a white noise setting.
    Anonymous

• id give her a bath with that johnsons bed time bath / bedtime lotion with the "clinically proven help baby sleep better" cuz it realeases naturalcalm essence...... the stuff WORKS, my 1 month old has colic and wakes up every hour or 2 to either eat or cry cuz hes got gas pains , but when i give him a warm bath & use the lotiion it knocks him out like a light & he will sleep for no longer then 4 hours ... but do that and swaddle and sing to them && it puts them right into a deep sleep soo you can rest easy... thats how ive survived sooo far and he was born april 18th..... try it .. you will be surprised =]
    ShAyLaSMoMmY212

Answer by ShAyLaSMoMmY212 at 2:58 PM on May. 22, 2009