WH snubs kindergartners for Steelers

Isn't Obama himself well known for being king of tardiness? Yet these poor kids were shut out.....
Kids locked out of White House; officials say they were too late
By ANNE REYNOLDS

Thursday was supposed to be the highlight of the year for more than 100 kindergarteners from Stafford County, Va. They got up early and took a chartered bus to the White House for a school field trip. But when they arrived, all the 5-year-olds got was a lesson in disappointment.

Obama Snubs Kids for Steelers?

Watch Video
A group of young students didn't get to tour the White House, and they say it's because of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The buses from Conway Elementary arrived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue a little later than planned, and they were locked out.

"We were going to the White House, but we couldn't get in so I felt sad," 5-year-old Cameron Stine said.

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 11:29 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Parents say they were just 10 minutes late for their scheduled tour. School officials say White House staff said they needed to get ready for the president's luncheon with the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, so they couldn't come in.

"I was angry cause they were disappointed," parent and chaperone Paty Stine said.

A lot of preparing had gone into the trip. Conway Elementary teachers had been planning the trip for months, each child paid $20 for a seat on the chartered bus, and names were submitted to the White House for clearance.

Parents say they tried to make it on time, but their chartered buses hit heavy traffic that slowed them down substantially. They thought they were supposed to show up by 10:15, but they say they arrived at 10:25 instead, and couldn't get in.

"The person who headed this White House trip up came out and said, 'I'm sorry, the White House tour's off.' There were a lot of crying kids,
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:30 AM on May. 22, 2009

• The White House tells a slightly different story. A spokesperson said the group was actually supposed to be there at 9:30, but they held the gates for the group until 10:30, 15 minutes longer than they told the group, but when they still hadn't arrived, they had to draw the line.

Paty Stine said the White House staff should have made an exception. She feels the kindergarteners were snubbed for the Steelers

"Here we have President Obama and his administration saying, 'Here we are for the common, middle class people,' and here he is not letting 150 5- and 6-year-olds into the White House because he's throwing a lunch for a bunch of grown millionaires," Stine said.

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:31 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Thursday night the White House released this statement: "The President and First Lady are dedicated to opening the doors of the White House to the public, and it is unfortunate to see young people miss a tour. The visitor's office is already working to reschedule the group."

Parents say it's probably too late. The school year ends in a few weeks and they doubt the tour can be made up in that time.

tnmomofive

• and the question is?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 22, 2009

• That's sad.

Isn't he on a tight schedule though? Do they allow other people to meet with/tour when they are 10 minutes or more late? I know it sucks but I don't see how it matters that they are Elementary schoolers. If he did that then he'd have to let everyone "running late" a free pass and that would start a snowball.

I mean if I'm 10 minutes late for my dentist appointment I can't be seen. So why should I expect the President to see someone who's 10 minutes late? :-)
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 11:35 AM on May. 22, 2009

• anon did the question below the headline escape you?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:37 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Well ladychamp Obama himself has been late for important things many times and given a pass so why would he not have it in his heart to have compassion for these poor little kindergartners? ;(
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:39 AM on May. 22, 2009

• it's the white house is on a time schedule. I understand that it's kids and all but it's not like the tour was gonna be a few mins. If they would have let the tour go on it would have really knock everything for the rest of the day back not just lunch with the Steelers but everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I think it's up to the people who he's late to, to call him on it. If he's late they should not admit him.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 11:42 AM on May. 22, 2009

• If I had a meeting at the white house I wouldn't be late! Don't blame the Steelers or the president, blame the people in charge of the trip!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 22, 2009