I'm looking into buying a breast pump, not sure what to buy.

I'm going to be staying home with the baby, not returning to work. I do want to pump sometimes so other people can feed him. I was looking a the playtex pump for around $80.00 I was set on getting that one untill my breast feeding teacher said it was a peice of crap and to buy a medala for more money. I'm not sure what to buy any info will help Thanks!!

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 11:39 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use a Medela electric pump, but I work full-time and pump twice a day. It's great, but it was expensive. My lactation consultant recommended buying only the Medela or Avent pumps.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:41 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Check with the lactation consultant at the hospital where you are planning to deliver; they may have discounts available or a rental unit.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:43 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I heard, so I don't know for sure that your insurance can usually help you buy one. A friend of mine here had her insurance help her buy it. Check that out before you buy one. You might be able to save some money. Money is money. We can all use a little extra cash. I used the madela- not sure if i spelled that right but oh well. I would def. buy a electrical one. the hand pump ones suck.
    casd

Answer by casd at 11:43 AM on May. 22, 2009

• If you will be pumping a lot, I'd go with the Medela, however if it's only once in awhile, I'd go with something cheaper. The Medela is about $300-400.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 22, 2009

• i guess i should have said the hand pump ones aren't very good. Of course they suck- duh
    casd

Answer by casd at 11:44 AM on May. 22, 2009

• If you aren't going to be pumping very often I would get the hand held pump by medela it works GREAT... I have one that I used for car trips and things like that.
    If you think you will pump often I would get a Medela pump in style... I also have one of those and it's awsome.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:45 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I use a Medela electric and it works great it was expensive but worth it .
    talltree

Answer by talltree at 11:49 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I used an older style medela and didnt like it much, but this model was from like 8 years ago I think so there may have been some good changes to it I am not sure. I love my Avent though. It is so gentle and I have not had any trouble keeping up my supply through 3 kids using it. You can also adjust the suction while you pump and the bottles worked really good for us to switch back and forth brom breast to botle. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:27 PM on May. 22, 2009

• wanted to add that I use the Avent Isis hand pump. And I think for the whole travel pack it was around $100. Alot of places will let you rent pumps though too, like the WIC office and alot of hospitals and pediatricians, that might work untill you find one you like really well, try before you buy kind of thing.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:30 PM on May. 22, 2009