Why are parents saying that their children have Autism-like-symptoms instead of Autism?

Am I missing something here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on May. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If my son eats red dye he has autistic like behaviors, this does not mean he's autistic though.

sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 2:22 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Maube they are displaying the symptoms, yet, haven't been taken in and fully diagnosed. My son displays Auditory Processing Disorder signs, yet, I haven't tested him. He is 13 and I only realized it was a thing one could have and be diagnosed with.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 AM on May. 22, 2009

• My son is autistic and I don't say he has autistic-like-symptoms. Maybe that is their way of lessening the way it sounds when you tell someone your child is autistic or maybe they don't want to accept it. It has taken me years of working with my son to get him to where he can fully function in school and be a positive part of the environment instead of a disruptive part.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:50 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Because they want the sympathy of raising a special needs child without the hassle of getting a diagnosis.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Because they don't have a diagnosis yet.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 11:51 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Perhaps that phrase came about prior to the "Autism Spectrum".
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:51 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Some people don't have a formal diagnosis. Also lables lead to assumptions. People assume all children with Autism are the same and that is far from true.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:52 AM on May. 22, 2009

• I would assume (and you know what they say about that) that they haven't been diagnosed yet.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 11:53 AM on May. 22, 2009

i can kinda of understand this. to some they want sympathy from and from others they want them to believe that their kid is normal.
    but i do know that if any of my children showed signs of autism or any thing else i would be taking them in asap it is better to know then not to know. that way you can get all of the information on the subject and join support groups.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:54 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Where is

* Autumn22

she is the perfect person to ask this question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on May. 22, 2009