• In the Spotlight:

kids and allergies?

my 2 year old and 9 month old have seasonal allergies. they're normaly ok where we live, they've gotten used to the weather, so the meds the docs proscribed aren't used often, if ever actually. we've recently went to Va to visit family, and the humidity here is way higher and the polin is too. needless to say, i'm using their meds ( zertec) and its making them so drowsy they sleep all the time. i feel bad cuz they're so miserable if they don't take them, but sleep when they take it. is there anything i can do to help with their runny nose and watery eyes besides giving them the meds?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 12:23 PM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have to give my son his allergy meds at night right before bedtime. I use Claritin, so I don't know about Zertec, but I can only give it once a day. This way he can sleep it off and then not be as drowsy during the next day.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 12:25 PM on May. 22, 2009

• yeah they get it once a day but i've noticed that giving it to them at night doesn't help. they're still miserable the next day...i have never seen my son's eyes so watery until we came here. he's always complaining that his eyes hurt...i feel so bad for him.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:29 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Ask the doc if there is something else that can be given. ALL symptoms won't go away, I have horrible allergies and take Zyrtec D twice a day and Singulair at night and still have symptoms all day long,just no where near as bad as when I don't take the meds. The same as my son. Your son may need allergy eye drops to help with the eye symptoms.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:57 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Our Dr's here have us use benadryl or phsudephed for thiers. They are 2 and 9 months. I hope they feel better soon!
    slhash

Answer by slhash at 3:01 PM on May. 25, 2009