Why does my 8 month old suddenly ONLY want his BOTTLE?!

My son has LOVED his food since 4 months. But now, suddenly, he HATES to take his food, and he even rejects his favorite snacks a lot of the time. Sometimes I am able to trick him into eating his food by pretending I'm going to put his bottle in his mouth then shoving in a spoonful of food.
He is teething, but even after I give him ibuprofen he doesn't want anything more than a bottle. What can I do to get him to eat again?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 12:24 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he is teething then that is totally normal. It hurts for them to eat and the sucking feels better to them. Just go with it for afew days and it should pass. Good Luck!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:56 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Wait it out, it might just be a phase. The only thing he can truly control in his world is if he eats or not so he's taking control Keep offering him food but don't force it. Tricking him into eating could potentially cause him to be even more stubborn about it. Then again it could be that he's just bored with what he's been getting. What do you feed him? I remember clearly the day my oldest stopped eating baby food. He refused ANYTHING from a jar. From then on he only ate what we ate. Maybe offer him something different than what he normally gets and see if that does the trick.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 1:56 PM on May. 22, 2009

• It may be the teething but it also maybe him trying to be independent. Have you tried letting him eat finger foods by himself? It will be messy so take your time!
    melislb

Answer by melislb at 2:52 PM on May. 22, 2009

• this morning he ate french toast from my plate and i added some sugar to his baby fruit and he ate that. could it be that he just needs more FLAVOR as opposed to the super bland stuff in the baby food jars?
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:03 PM on May. 23, 2009