MY 6 YEAR OLD HAS A REALLY SMART MOUTH. HE TALKS BACK TO ME ALL THE TIME. HOW DO I GET HIM TO UNDERSTAND THAT HE IS BEING RUDE. MY 5 YEAR OLD IS STARTING TO PICK UP ON IT TO.

kiramarsi1218

Asked by kiramarsi1218 at 11:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• choose your consequence, explain to them both this has been happening it is unacceptable and if it continues to happen you will get ONE warning, do it again your consequence will be..(insert your choice here)
    Then do it, be firm, be consistant and let them know you are not going to give up. It will get worse before it gets better, but if you stick to it..it DOES work.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:58 PM on Aug. 9, 2008

• Both are old enough to understand either sticker charts for good days or fines for bad days. Your choice but the positve rewards usually work better.

I'd suggest breaking the day into sections to start with. If he doesn't mouth off in the morning, he gets a star. Good from noon to 4? Star. 4 to bedtime? Star. If he has three stars at the end of the day, maybe he gets a small reward.
    Or you could offer him two warnings during the day - and mark them on the chart. If he gets to the end of the day with only those warnings, he gets a star. Collect 5 stars and get reward - maybe a toy from the dollar store or a trip to the ice cream store for a cone?

Also, if you have any rudeness issues yourself, admit to them. Let your sons know that it's not right for ANYONE to be rude or hurtful. If necessary, add yourself to the chart and don't get mad at your boys for calling you on it. And be honest about it... if they earn rewards and you don't, you d
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2008

• Well, if you look back on the older days, bar soap was used to cure this problem.. I think times were alot better back then. Before the days of reasoning and counting... compare and see what has worked and what hasn't.. I think it speaks for itself. Personally, I only had to do this once to my girls when they were young. Never had to do it again and never had a smart mouth!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2008

• I use a similar system to Kaycee, but a carrot and stick approach. Good behaviour earns merits which earn rewards, bad behaviour earns demerits which earn a spanking. Whatever system you use, be firm and consistent and if it doesn't work use another method.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:38 AM on Aug. 10, 2008

• I've heard the soap thing works but personally i think my kids would like it. *they are strange children*
    what ever you do make sure its enough to hurt. punishment that doesn't cause uncomfort isn't effective. i'm not refering to physical so much although in my house a smart mouth has a butt that smarts.
    if you chose not to use physical start taking away privledges. He doesn't have to watch tv, play with toys or do any thing extra.
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 1:05 AM on Aug. 10, 2008