I have a daughter who has no hair on her head. She was diagnosed with Ectodermal Dysplasias. The Website NFED.org is her only support. Has anybody heard of this condition?

Kayla is a very outgoing child. She is eight years old. People and kids make fun of her because she wears a hat to school.

Army767

Asked by Army767 at 12:45 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Have you thought about a wig? They have very real looking ones.
    Anonymous

• I haven't but would LOVE to make her some flower headbands for free if she would wear them. I will email you some pictures.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 4:13 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Hi: Our daughter was diagnosed with ED a couple of years ago. She's only 5 1/2 so we haven't had to have any treatment for it yet. We noticed early on that it took a long time for her hair to come in and her teeth and I've never had to trim her nails. One day I googled hair, teeth, nails and ED came up. I starting asking questions of the dentist and pediatrian and viola! Her teeth are cone shaped too.

So the dentist took a panaram x-ray and it shows she might have 6-8 permanent teeth missing. So we are facing potential braces, prosthetics and, eventually, implants. We found the National Foundation for Ectodermal Dysplasia has a wealth of information (brochures, dentist lists, etc.). The even have information on getting medical insurance coverage for treatment since it's a medical condition.

You probably know a lot more than me at this point. Our daughter's case is mild as far as the hair goes.

mom from South Carolina
    tjpsc

Answer by tjpsc at 8:14 PM on May. 25, 2009