Why does evil=ugly?

I've often thought about this and it bothers me. Why are good people in books and movies always beautiful while the evil people are hideous and ugly? You can't tell me that all bad people are trolls and all good people look like Adonis...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:49 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It actually goes back to 18th century scientific & philosophical belief. It was believed that evil would leave "scars" on a person or distort them. Read Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde or The Picture of Dorian Grey to understand their beliefs. While we now know that to not be true scientifically we have a hard time letting go of the idea.

Also in entertainment it is a kind of visual language, you know the bad guy because he wears a black hat, has a nasty scar or is big & brutish. Thus the filmmaker doesn't have to show him being evil the first time you see him in order for you to know he is the bad guy.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:44 PM on May. 22, 2009

• It's funny bc it seems like the popular mean people are prettier than the sweet, sensitive people in real life.
    Anonymous

• not completly true. Poison Ivy. I think that they should show that bad people are beautiful too. At least in High School lol
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:57 PM on May. 22, 2009

• What about the queen in snow white? Or, the devil was actually Elizabeth Hurley in that movie Bedazzled... she is definitely beautiful. Evil comes in all packages I think.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 12:59 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Well, hmmmm, good question......mmmmmmmm, really don't have an answer for that one. But, I've always heard that Satan was once one of the most beautiful angels in Heaven. And I've always heard that when the AntiChrist comes, he won't be hideous or ugly, but he'll look very human and more than likely very handsome. He'll be trying to destroy the earth and gain new souls , but how many people are really going to listen to him if he's disgusting looking, you know. He'd have to be extremely attractive for so many people to choose to follow him into the gates of hell. That was a real thought provoking question....Good one.
    Anonymous

• I think it is the opposite. I think evil is attractive and seductive. The Bible says that the devil presents himself as an angel of light.

Evil on the outside looks beautiful and mysterious. Temptation seems so sweet; it lures you in. Only later do we see that it is rotten.

I don't know, I always went for the "bad boy" -- the super good looking jerk that was up to no good and not looking to become some whipped boyfriend.

My DH is such a good guy, but he is still super cool (tattooed surfer with a big truck) so God gave me the desires of my heart, but even better.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:07 PM on May. 22, 2009

• But when you see evil for what it really is, you do see it as ugly. Sin is ugly.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:09 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Evil is inherently ugly, but it has the ability to disguise itself, like in The little mermaid, Ursula stole Ariels voice and disguised herself as a "beautiful" person. I think that goes along with cinnamon's thing
    The Bible says that the devil presents himself as an angel of light.
    so it's always a presentation, and if you had the choice and wanted to lure people over to your way of thinking or being- wouldn't you also choose an attractive shell? (even though on the inside you are uuuuugly)

LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 1:14 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom, I agree- I've always thought evil would be seductive and beautiful in order to lead you astray and tempt you more easily! It just seem like in most movies and books I read, the main bad person is always grotesque and ugly because of evil- sometimes there are less important evil characters and they are good looking and then they use those looks and powers of seduction to lure them to the head evil ugly one...

It just makes no sense.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:18 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Uh huh what Lucky Clown said. Evil is the perversion and absence of Good. Dark is the absence of light
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:19 PM on May. 22, 2009