Fever of 103 and Viral Rash?

My son is 11 months old, and he has been under the weather most of the week. (Flushed, tired, slight fever... assumed it was teething.) Then out of nowhere he was hit with a fever of 103, which I was able to bring under control with motrin/tylenol. "Under control" being a temperature of 100-101. He was so lethargic that day, and for the next three days he had this fever. Yes, I took him to the doctor. She said it was probably a virus and had to take its course. Ok. Yesterday, his fever went away and he was acting fine. Just tired. Today... no fever, but still tired/crabbyish; however he has odd rash all over his face and abdomen. It makes me think of chicken pox but without the raised lension or blisters? What does this sound like? Is this typical of a virus? Should I make a trip to the walk-in clinic to have it checked out?

ShadesofGrey

Asked by ShadesofGrey at 1:12 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If he has been coughing a lot he might have broken blood vessels on his face. My son did this a few months ago, if its not raised and just little redish dots on his face it might be that. My doc said it would go away in a couple of weeks.
    Amber-Skye

Answer by Amber-Skye at 1:18 PM on May. 22, 2009

• It sounds very normal. My son had the same thing on a couple of occasions and I took him to the doctor. The doctor said the rash is a secondary symptom of the body's reaction to the high fever. As long as the fever is gone, then I wouldn't worry too bad unless you notice he is getting a fever again or acts very lethargic . I think you are out of the woods.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 1:18 PM on May. 22, 2009

• does the rash itch? i have noticed that with my daughter, when she gets a high fever she sometimes gets a rash. If it itches then I would take him. If not then let his body take care of it naturally. Has he eaten or drank anything new? has he had the motrin and or tylenol before? If it trully worries you, and with the long weekend coming up then take him in . If for nothing else, peace of mind.
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:18 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Yeah sounds like a Viral thing. We went threw it around Spring Break.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:30 PM on May. 22, 2009

• It sounds like a viral rash. If it isn't itching or causing any symptoms, I would just watch it for a couple of days. It is possible that it is fifth disease. Fifth disease is a pretty common illness that you also just let run its course. My daughter had this recently. There is a very distinctive rash pattern on the face and abdomen, which make me wonder if this is what he has. Here's a picture of the rash on the face and here's a page with links to lots of information.

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:56 PM on May. 22, 2009

• It sounds like Roseola. It's a viral rash and it usually comes 24 to 48 hours after a fever breaks. The rash can last a few hours to a couple days. Go to Webmd.com and read for yourself. I hope this helps.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 5:19 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Sounds like Roseola to me
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:54 PM on May. 22, 2009

• It could just be a rash from the fever. My son sometimes got a rash after he had a high fever. It should go away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:28 PM on May. 22, 2009

• it sounds like a viral rash- this winter we went through the same thing with my middle- i didnt know anything about viral rashes then and i wasted a day going to the doc only for him to tell me that there was nothing he could do just let it run its course- and wuts worse? he ended up getting it off and on for the next month which was...great...sarcasm... lol but he was fine i hope ur son feels better soon
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:54 PM on May. 23, 2009