so what do u think of this statement

I dont think the military should have to be paid at all..I mean after all it is VOLUNTARY

and so is community service and no one gets paid for that

it was made by a cafemom

piwife

Asked by piwife at 1:26 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• WOW! Um, usually community service doesn't involve getting killed, potentially getting killed, being dismembered, lose an arm/legs or both. Lose half a head, leave a spouse widowed and child parentless.

Oh, and lets not forget that they are PROTECTING OUR FREAKIN COUNTRY!

geez, some people.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:29 PM on May. 22, 2009

• They are risking their lives for ours, why shouldnt they get paid?!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:31 PM on May. 22, 2009

• It's voluntary in that there isn't a draft right now, but being in the military is still a JOB. Military people work just as hard (or harder) than the rest of us who work, and also are sometimes sent far away from their loved ones for long periods of time... along with risking their lives every day, or knowing they may have to on a moment's notice. I bet the person who made that statement wouldn't be willing to do all of that for free!

And the comparison is ridiculous. Sure, people don't get paid for doing community service, but I doubt many people get shot at while planting trees in the city park, either.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 1:33 PM on May. 22, 2009

• The Military is a job, a career, even if you volunteer to join. WHo said they shouldn't get paid? That's just crazy. Obviously she has no idea bout the military. As a former AirForce family/wife, I find that to be ignorant and prejudiced and I resent it.
    Anonymous

• They ought to get paid a heck of a lot more than they do now. And LOTS more benefits.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:33 PM on May. 22, 2009

• WELL..I dont agree with this one bit!!! My husband is in the military and isn't ANY job you work at voluntary? Don't you choose to work wherever you are employed? I'm betting you don't know a thing about the military way of life! I'm not trying to be mean here(and if this wasn't made by you, I'm directing this to the person who made the statement). My husband is an E-4 and he doesn't make SH** for pay. We do get BAH and BAS which are allowances for food and housing. You reallly don't think people who go out and DIE for their country(including YOU) should do it for NOTHING? I think whoever made this statement needs to do a little research on this and see what exactly people who serve their country really do. There's a lot more to it than you obviously know!!!
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 1:36 PM on May. 22, 2009

• They need to get paid because it is like having a full time job. Plus, leaving a spouse and possibly a child behind, they need money too. It would be hard to raise a child by yourself but working as well. And waking up every night not knowing if you will get a call that day saying your husband will never come home! Thats some serious stress! Job description for the military, PROTECTING YOUR FREEDOM! They deserve every pennie they get! Some people on this site really are clueless!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:36 PM on May. 22, 2009

• That's an ignorant statement...that's what I think about it.

MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 1:37 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Yeah this lady is very anti-military, want her name lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:38 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Plus they work every day jobs(mine is a crew chief for the U-2) that they could do outside of the military, the only difference is they can be told to drop everything and go half way around the world away from their family and come back to do the same job.
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 1:38 PM on May. 22, 2009