Do you spank to dicipline your children?

My parents spanked me and my friends spank their kids, but I dont know if I should spank mine. Do you spank your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes I spank, I'll count to 3 {slowly } giving them a second chance
    or third...lol... if they move quick enough. then I'll swat the behind or hand
    it depends on the situation. they're 5-7 i haven't had to spank either child
    lately ..time outs work to but only for so long
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 9:13 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I don't spank my child.

I don't remember being spanked by my parents.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 1:30 PM on May. 22, 2009

• She gets verbal warnings, and then yes, I swat my daughter on the butt. Or if she bites, she gets popped on the mouth. If she throws her food, she usually gets her hand slapped. Plus, then if she's still being naughty, she gets a timeout. The combination works for us. You do what works for you. It's not violence, it's discipline/conditioning. It can be taken too far, and become abuse, but most people employ spanking responsibly, calmly, and to good effect.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:32 PM on May. 22, 2009

• No, I do not.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:35 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My son is no where near old enough to be spanked but when he is, he will be. My husband and I were both spanked as children. Although, I believe it was sometimes taken too far. I will be spanking my child as well as time outs.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 1:37 PM on May. 22, 2009

• First, this is a discussing that (potential) parents have before they decide to have a child together;.

No. My husband and I were both spanked, and we came out ok. That said, we don't like the message that spanking sends. Spanking, or striking another human being, can be considered an act of violence. When you spank a child you are sending the message that sometimes violence can be the solution to a problem. We are not comfortable with that message.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:42 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Thank you for posting this question, I just posted a similar one and nobody responded. So, I'll just keep an eye on your post.

and to answer your question, I was spanked as a child. I was always scared, and didn't like that feeling. So no i don't spank my kid. But I'm starting to realize why my parents spanked, and am debating whether i need to.
    casd

Answer by casd at 1:45 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Nope - for my son, there are better ways to discipline and still raise a well mannered, loving and respectful child.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:58 PM on May. 22, 2009

• All I usually have to do is threaten, that in itself is enough not to have to follow through anyway. We usually use the sad corner or "sit by the wall" depending on where in the house we are at the time of the "infraction".

i'm the "disciplinarian" in this house. They do not respect their dad at all. I'm quitting my job for this very reason because they need to learn to respect us both(if i can help that at all) and they also need consistency which is virutally impossible when he doesn't follow through on what I ask of him to do with them while i work. And usually he says to them "you better stop it or i'm telling mommy"...LOL....I use to resent being the "bad guy" while he's the "fun one" but at least they respect me.

Sooooo....back to your question, yes I spank but only on a rare occasion.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:25 PM on May. 22, 2009

• No, but I do discipline.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:29 PM on May. 22, 2009