I need help with my stubborn potty training daughter....

She is 3 1/2 and has recently been potty training and has been doing great until recently. she has been pooping her pants and we cannot convince her to even try to poop on the potty....we have tried just about everything, and I a about to give up...HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You know...after working for TWO years with my son on potty training (he was trained just before he turned 4), I learned one very important thing...you can lead 'em to the potty but you can't make 'em go. When she has an accident, don't make a big deal out of it. Quietly clean her up. When she pees on the potty...continue to FLIP OUT about how proud you are...stickers, m&m's...rewards! When she poops on the potty, FLIP OUT even MORE! She will see very quickly it is way more fun to get the rewards for pooping than the complete NO acknowledgment of pooping in her pants. Kids like attention. They don't care if it's positive or negative. That's why it's important not to make a big deal out of accidents. Hang in there momma. She won't be going to kindergarten in diapers, promise.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 1:32 PM on May. 22, 2009

• have you made her clean it up? I made my son take her undies off and dump them in th epotty(luckly he had rabbit turds) and then "throw his undies in the thrash" I would put them in a Walmart bag. I would usually go back later and clean them out but the throwing away ofthe favorite undies worked great for us!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:34 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My daughter turned 3 in March and she is doing fairly well during the day. She has been having accidents though now that weathers warmer and shes playing she "forgets" to go inside to the bathroom. Sorry I got distracted on the question...I would try to kind of see if your 3.5 year old goes poop at a certain time n try n put her on the potty than ..alota kids go approx hr after eating...maybe u can put her on an hr after if u can. It doesnt always work sometimes they use gestures n u can than see them trying to poop. I know i wasnt much help. But do know every kids different and theirs days I think my three year old will never be completely potty trained. You are NOT alone!! If you wish to speak further you can email me on here or send a friend request. Goodluck!
    MamaOf3Girls09

Answer by MamaOf3Girls09 at 1:37 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Thanks ladies, for the quick responses. I have tried making her clean it up throw away her underwear, take away toys, got super excited when she goes one and two, we have tried rewards(candy, stickers, little dolloar toys) These work for about a day or 2 then she is bored w/ thenm and goes back to pooping in her pants. she pees fine on the ptty but no luck w/ the poop. she did great for about a month and then BAM nothing. We have told all she has to do is try, we dont expect her to actually poop, but she wont even TRY!! Then a few minutes later she will poop her pants. and she usually goes and hides to do it, and then flips out when we find her....sigh.....
    sunnybaby1024

Answer by sunnybaby1024 at 1:42 PM on May. 22, 2009