What color should I paint my shutters?

We recently got our first home -yay!- and the siding is pale yellow and the shutters are a faded rusty red color. I took them all down and would like to paint them, but I don't know what to do. I think black is too dark and heavy, but my instinct of going white may be a little to pale. I also don't want any shade of blue or forest green. I know I'm being a little picky, but the house was built in the 70s and I don't want to do anything to make it look older than it is or looks too bold. So should I go with white or do you have an idea?

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 1:36 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Okaaay....your home is pale yellow, and don't want (rusty) red, black, blue, or green shutters?

Other than going with an unconventional color like purple, pink, or turquoise...you're really limiting yourself!

I think a CLASSIC (not dated look) is pale yellow (I'm assuming you have white trim/gutters/accents) with either black or dark green would look the best! Pale colors and white will look washed out. A bold contrasting color will add "punch" and yet look timeless at the same time. You can easily ADD COLOR with flowering shrubs, perennials and annuals--perhaps you could install some window flower boxes filled with colorful annuals to break up the color scheme, and add a little modern "flare?!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:20 AM on May. 23, 2009

• i would def. say white and spray them done maybe once a week.. :) pale yellow is hard color to go with, yes black and gray is intirely too dark, green is just ugly, blue no red no.. so yes white
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 1:38 PM on May. 22, 2009

• i think hot pink:)
    Anonymous

• I'd go either two shades darker in the same color family, or the same intensity one color over on the color wheel (which would be either a pale green or a pale orange.)
    Anonymous

• My neighbors house is yellow with a cornflower blue color shutters. It looks beautiful. The accented with white ie:gutters, porch railing, mailbox....
    Anonymous

• What's your favorite color? I go with that :)
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:23 PM on May. 22, 2009