Terrible landlords

My husband and I just moved out of a house because we found a nicer one with much better landlords. Before we moved in she told me that if I finished painting the walls, she would take money off of rent.While we were living in the house we made several improvements. Our children got ahold of the mini blinds and tore up a couple of them, there was a small hole in a wall, and the carpet needed cleaned. We gave our 3o days notice but the people moving in after us rushed us out of there within 2 weeks because they were evicted from their house. My husband had to miss a day of work so that we could get everything out of the house. The way I look at it, they only allowed us 2 weeks to move out so we should get back half a months rent plus the majority of our deposit. She just called saying that they were only going to refund us $100. Our deposit was $275. She never took off of rent for painting and she didnt consider the (cont)

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 1:50 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• improvements that we had made to the house. She said that the yard wasnt mowed last night when they went to look at the house and the people moving in told me right in front of her, not to worry about cleaning the capets because they were going to. I'm just not sure what to do. I want to call her back and bitch about the amount she is refunding but my husband told me I'm not going to get anywhere. What should I do?
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 1:52 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I would call and complain to her! Tell her that you feel cheated, even if it doesnt get you anywhere, you will have at least explained yourself and told her how you feel! Making you feel a little better! Good luck... landlords suck!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:00 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Hell, our new landlords came over at 10:30 the other night to fix our air conditioner. At the old house it took them 6 weeks to even consider getting new burners for our stove and I finally gave in and got them myself. I'd say we are better off now lol
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 2:10 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Depending on your state laws ...did you get a letter from her stating she was only giving you such and such? You need one asap and then you have as a tenant a right to disagree with what she says (I think you have 10 days from time of recieving her letter) to do this. Then she can dispute it again, but this time you will then have the right (state laws depending) to take her to court over it...
    according to my dh (lic. state broker and apt. manger) she owes you 2 weeks of rent and full depoist for having you move out quicker than your time allowed by law.
    check with a lawyer who deals with landlord/tenant issues...

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:14 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Contact your local city hall (call 311) and get the number for your local tenants rights office.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:43 PM on May. 23, 2009