My daughter is EXTREMELY sensitive!!!

So my daughter is EXTREMELY sensitive and SUPER emotional! I will tell her to do something and she will get all sad and emotional about it- WHY? How do I get her to stop doing this? It drives me completely NUTS!!! She is 5 years old and this has got to stop!!! I grew up with 3 brothers and 0 sisters, so its a little harder for me to deal with these types of things!!! Sometimes it gets me so mad that I get loud with her, which only seems to make things worse- but that is my natural response! Help!!!
Please no rude comments!

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 1:53 PM on May. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She is like my son...you can't "tell" him to do anything or he will put up a wall or fall apart. You have to explain and convince him why he should do it. If you do it in a gentle way, he will be an almost perfect child. If you just tell him to do something,then he falls apart.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:58 PM on May. 22, 2009

• There's a wonderful book on Raising the Sensitive Child that's well worth reading. You see, you won't be able to CHANGE her at all. You can help her adapt to situations but first you'll need to understand her.

I read the book because I have a sensitive child. I noticed it at only a few months old: couldn't handle loud noises or boisterous situations, wouldn't deal with anyone other than mom or dad (and sometimes not even dad) and so much more.

Reading the book helped me to understand HER (and I found myself in there too!) so that I could approach situations in a way that works for BOTH of us.

Sure that may sound like too much pampering but I figured my screaming and getting frustrated that led to her crying and getting frustrated just wasn't worth it. Reading the book WAS.

Good luck
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 5:41 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Do not get mad at her. I went through this stage when I was little. It's a phase. She'll outgrow it.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:17 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I taught for 11 years, and what worked with super-sensitive kiddos was first valid their perception of how they are feeling. Then, after they are feeling validated, offer them 2 choices that you can live with either choice. Sometime you have to control the environment. It helps them move beyond feeling sorry for themselves and helping them solve the problem. For example, she doesn't want to get dressed. So, you say, do you want to put on your socks or shirt first?

Another strategy was giving kids the heads-up, "In 5 minutes, we will need to clean-up." Then, "in 3 minutes, we will need to clean-up." Finally, "In 1 minute...." It made a world of different.

Of course, then praise, praise, praise when they aren't sensitive.

Best wishes!
    aim1105

Answer by aim1105 at 11:24 AM on May. 23, 2009

• I wanted to add, try the book "positive discipline" Its really great! it also says to validate their feelings, listen without lecturing or even saying anything exceopt "I understand you feel....because of ....." and don't give advice, just listen. If a solution needs to be worked out wait until emotions aren't so high and have her think of solutions. I hope you find a way that works for both of you.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:42 PM on May. 23, 2009