Anger issues

My son is 5 years old and seems to have anger issues. One minute he will be the sweetest little boy and the next he will be throwing a trantrum. A few days ago he was playing with my 2 year old daughter, he was playing nicely, the next thing I know he takes these keys and hits her on the head as hard as he could. He got in trouble for it of course. He hits, screams and cries all the time. I have tried every punishment but nothing helps. I've been consistent but nothing. He will pull my 8 year old daughter hair as hard as he can or he will take a toy and throw it at her. He's rough with our cats, too. I know sometimes he gets frustrated when no one can understand what he is saying, he is very speech delayed and see's a speech therapist. I don't know what else to do. I know sibling rivalry is normal but he takes it beyond that. I am worried he's going to seriously hurt my 2 year old. He gets a lot of attention so it isn't cont..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on May. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I actually asked my daughter's kindergarten teacher if she was as good as the woman said for the same reason. She was an angel with people outside of our home but a demon in the home. The teacher said to me that if she had not seen this happen in her own family, she would not believe me. ..I don not believe that one pill will cure them all and I certainly do no condone finding a simple "cure" for any childhood problem. These are all things we went through as kids, and there was no simple cure then either...TTFN
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 7:41 PM on May. 22, 2009

• that. What should I do? I don't know whats going on with him. It is almost like he's not even there when he's hitting and throwing a trantrum.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to his ped. because their may be more going on then you realize.He may need to be evaluated.
    Anonymous

• My son will turn from angel to demon if he has anything with red food dye in it. Try cutting out artificial dyes and flavors from his diet and see if it helps.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:02 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Thanks. I will mention it to his pediatrician and see what she thinks. He hardly eats the way it is, 2 bites and he is done. He has eating issues and is seeing specialists for that.
    Anonymous