I have been exclsevly breastfeeding my baby, he is 5 mnths old now but my milk supply is going low should i just change him 2 formula already??

I was planning on weaning him down next month and start giving him formula, since i am going to go to college and get a job soon(well i hope to) and pumping to me would be to much trouble. but now my milk supply is going low and im getting a bit worried that he might still be hungry and stuff. i was planning on buying that fenugreek tea that ive herad increases your milk supply, but i dont know if i should just wean him down now. i also want to start working out and dieting something i havent been able to do yet since i have been eatin normal beacause im breastfeeding. ive breastfed him for a good time already, i dont know if to just wait or wean him down already. any suggestions???

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 1:57 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What makes you think that your milk supply is decreasing?

I found that the Mother's Milk Tea by Traditional Medicinals was really useful in giving my supply a boost when I needed it. I was able to get it a the pharmacy (with the herbal supplements) and the grocery store (with the tea).
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:00 PM on May. 22, 2009

• "pumping is too much trouble..." really?

wow... that's just lazy.

my advice... suck it up keep breastfeeding and pump.
    Anonymous

• The World Health Organization (uninfluenced by the dairy and formula industries the way American doctors are) recommend breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. I managed to work full time, outside of my house, and breastfeed until my daughter weaned herself at 23 months. It is not all or nothing. You can continue to breastfeed when you are home, and your baby can have pumped breastmilk or formula when you are not home.
    To increase your supply (which can be affected by diet), drink lots of water, nurse often, have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby, take brewers yeast tabs. Pumping before nursing will also increase your supply.
    Dieting is not the way to lose weight; you just get on a gain/lose roller coaster that is hard on your body and makes you feel awful. You need to have a healthy lifestyle; this is the best way to get and maintain a healthy weight and sets a great example for your child.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:02 PM on May. 22, 2009

• cont.
    Start by walking. At least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week. You should already be drinking lots of water because you are nursing; make sure that you are having at least 8 8oz glasses a day, and have a big glass before eating. Eat your fruits and veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least 3 different colors. Start replacing your white foods/simple grains with whole grains: brown rice, whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, barley, quinoa, etc. Whole grains may cost more, but they are more filling and more nutricious (protein, fiber, etc.), so they really are the better bargains. Work your way up to 6-7 servings of whole grains a day. Cut way back on, or eliminate meat and dairy; eat beans, lentils or tofu at least once a day. Plant based nutrients are often superior to animal based. Here is a great article on calcium: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html
    Feel free to contact me with questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:07 PM on May. 22, 2009

• If you pump more, you will produce more milk. Most employers understand a woman's right to breastfeed. I used to go into an empty office and pump with my first born. When my second child was born, I would pump while wearing a nursing wrap in my cubicle and still work at times while I did it. I would be out & about and would go to my car and pump when I felt too full and keep my milk in an insulated bag with ice packs inside. It can be done if you really want to do it. Don't feel bad, though. I supplemented a lot -- usually when traveling because I exclusively pumped, also.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 2:09 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Well, if you're not willing to pump, I guess so.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:22 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Whatever you hear in this feed of answers, know you're amazing for getting to 5 months.

I pumped for 7 months with our first. I was able to bf my second for 11 months and still pump.

Pumping doesn't stimulate your nipple like the tongue of your baby, so you may see a decrease there anyway.

So having been through tough times and easy times, I always feel that the bonding of me and my baby was more important. When I was pumping for the first, my husband was feeding the baby and I felt i lost on the bonding there.

More Milk Plus out of Whole Foods is a liquid stimulant for milk production. I found this worked the best vs. teas. You drink it with OJ and you'll see an improvement w/in 24 hours.

Again, you've gotten it this far.... take it a day at a time...and you're an awesome mom for giving your baby a great head-start!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:27 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Personally, I wouldn't. I'd like to add that just because you are going to school and work, doesn't mean you need to stop all together. You can continue to nurse while you are with your baby, and use formula when you are apart, since you don't want to pump. Lots of moms do this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:38 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Do right by your child. If he's having enough wet/dirty diapers, there's nothing wrong with your supply. Pumping may be a little trouble for you, but formula is a butt load of trouble for him. Nurse on demand and pump when you're away. Warm compresses, nursing while pumping, and fenugreek will you get the most you can out of pumping. At 6 mos, you may introduce small amounts of purees.

http://custommademilk.wordpress.com/2009/02/14/supply-and-demand-how-breasts-work/
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/what_should_know_formula.html
    http://infant-toddler-health.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_risks_and_disadvantages_of_formula_feeding
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/supplement.asp
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:27 PM on May. 22, 2009