Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am so disturbed...

I live on a Naval base.... There is a woman that lives behind me, she has only been here since November 2008. I just met her a few weeks ago. I have found out that she drinks very heavily, to the point of passing out on most days. She has two children, young children. A two, almost three year old boy and a nine month old daughter. I have watched her drink, I have seen her hit her husband, numerous times. Her kids seem to be "okay" but they do not listen and her son only eats pop tarts, and drinks koolaid. I have been told that Child Services has been called several times, and I myself have seen the police over there a few times. Last Sunday she cut herself, on the wrists, chest, arms, and legs. I am so worried about her kids. I don't want to cause drama, but I'm afraid that nothing will come of the call, since it hasn't helped before. I don't hand out with her and I WIL NOT let my son go over there. Any advice? Words of wisdom

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • It sounds as though the people in the community are already trying to do their part and that the "system" isn't following through and not doing justice to those kids. In the other hand she might already be under CPS watch. I think you're doing the right thing in not letting your child go over and play. Perhaps you can try to reach out to her or the kids, let them know that you're close by in case they need to use the phone to call for help.

    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:06 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • OP: Is it legal to drink in your own home? Like as long as you are 21 and of age, can you drink to get drunk at home while your young children are home? I know that its wrong, but is it legal?

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • There's no way you could know HOW MUCH she drinks of HOW OFTEN b/c you are not in her house. You HEARD though someone else all this BS. You said her kids seem fine. Leave them alone and stop being a nosey neighbor

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • I'm not a nosy neighbor I've see it with my own eyes I've witnessed her drinking, large amounts and I've witnessed her beat her husband. I just wanna know is it gonna be worth my time to try to do something about the situation. Hell you probably sit and get drunk in front of your own kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on May. 22, 2009

  • Call the police if you see her hitting her husband. Call 911 if you see her passed out or acting extremely intoxicated while she is taking care of her children. Anytime the husband is not there to protect the little ones. If she is taken to the hospital, the hospital will probably contact CPS, or the police would contact CPS and they would have to do something about it. I'd hate to see them lose their kids, but maybe calling 911 on them would get her into rehab and help this family get on the right path. Yes, I think it is worth doing something about, but probably nothing will be done unless police/ems get involved as well.

    Answer by ShadesofGrey at 6:47 PM on May. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.