Can you pick up breastfeeding again after you've already weaned?

I weaned my daughter at 3 months old. But I want to breastfeed again. She is 5 months old. I still have a little bit of milk that comes out, but anytime I try to re-introduce the breast, she screams like I'm hurting her or something....Anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes you can! =) A lactation consultant will help you out. You can find a list at breastfeeding.com. For one, you need stimulation. So nurse her whenever she allows and pump as often as you can even if nothing comes out. It's the stimulating signals that matter. Switch her bottle nipples to wide slow flow. Use a silicone nipple shield til she can latch on her own. Take 2-3 fenugreek caps 3-5 times a day to help increase supply. Look into getting a Supplemental Nursing System so that you can stimulate production while feeding formula til you don't need it. Relactation takes time and work. But once it's down, it'll feel like 2nd nature and you'll be so glad you did. Let me know if you need help or info. There are breastfeeding and relactation groups here that can help and support you through it. Super kudos to you for trying again!
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:19 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Relactation is possible, it requires a lot of patience. Contact the La Lache League or the lactation specialist at the hospital where you delivered.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:09 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Yes you can! Here is some information on relactating. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html
    Good luck!!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 2:19 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Here is some information on how to get her to nurse again. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 2:21 PM on May. 22, 2009