Honest question about faith.

I would love to believe in God because I feel the conept of "God" in my life. But I look around the world and see so much suffering and I can't believe. I mean, I've heard that "God has a plan" and that he gave us free will, so many things are our own doing, but what God stands by while babies starve to death, are raped and abused? I read a newsstory the other day where a dad ATE the eyes out of his 4 year old son and all the little boy could say is daddy ate my eyes. What plan could God have that calls for a little boy to have his daddy eat his eyes out? What God could stand back and let a baby be raped? If you choose to answer this, know that I don't mean to offend, but quoting the bible or saying that we can't know God's plan sounds too diluted and really won't speak to me. I would love to interpret my blessed life for faith, but I'm too aware of the suffering of others to be so short sighted. I'd love to hear your thoughts

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ive thought about this many times. ive heard awful stories as well. But i do believe in god and i do believe everything happens for a reason. ive thought that every awful and tramatic thing people go through we LEARN from it. not only the victim but the abuser and everyone it effects. i also think we choose are own paths in life and struggles and everything that we go through. i believe more of "the other side" then here on earth. were just learning things here. just my thoughts might be confusing lol
    Anonymous

• Are you truly looking for an answer or looking to blame God? Why is it when good, and there is far more good in the world than evil, we don't praise God. But sure enough evil comes and God is the one who gets blamed.

The question of suffering is one the world has struggled with for years, no since man was created. I am sure Eve struggled when Cain killed Able. The fact is humans sin, sometimes horrible sins. If I were God there would be lightning bolts. But God has allowed evil to continue so that good could also continue.

This may not answer all your questions, I don't think anyone can. I do hope others will add their thoughts. But don't close your mind and heart to God.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:14 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I'm Agnostic so I don't see things as being "god's will" or in a manner in which god stands by and watches..

I see it as balance within the universe. Everything must have a balance in some way or else the capacity for life doesn't exist. We can not have things like love, joy and happiness without also having things like hate, indifference, and sorrow. IMO we can never know the depths of emotion our soul is capable of without experiancing both the negative and positive aspects of life. I also believe that we never know where our actions or choices will lead us later in life or who else it will effect. We may not even see it in our lifetime, but it will have an influence on the next generation.

The example you gave...that boy experianced true sorrow and pain. Maybe his balance will come from him growing up and providing the ultimate love and kindness to someone else b/c of his own experiance.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:16 PM on May. 22, 2009

• You ask not to use quotes from the Bible, so I won't, but if you really want to know God's plan for your life and for the world, that is where you need to start.

Here is my belief on why bad things happen. God gives us free will. He did this because He wanted us to CHOSE to love Him. God knows everything that is going to happen. He can not always stop the bad things, because that will be stopping free will. People do bad things. It is sad, but it is a fact. There are consequences when bad things happen. Sometimes those consequences fall on the innocent. That may not seem fair, but no where in the Bible does it say that life is fair.

I HIGHLY recommend you reading the book The Shack. This book illustrates God better than anything else I have ever read in my life. It speaks about this exact issue in a way that is clearly understood.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:17 PM on May. 22, 2009

• To teamquinn: Actually, I'm not blaming God at all because I don't believe in God. Moreover, I actually WANT to believe in God for all the positive in my life, so I think you chose to misinterpret my posting.
    Anonymous

• It used to bug me when people said "everything happens for a reason." And my faith was absolutely shattered by a sudden death in the family and the well-meaning but clueless pastor telling me that I shouldn't be sad because of heaven . . . I did a lot of reading, searching, praying. One of the best books I read on the subject is a classic, "When Bad Things Happen to Good People," by Harold Kushner. Note that the title of the book is not "why" but "when." Our life is a mystery. Even though I do have some differences in belief from Kushner (he is Jewish and I am Catholic), I took so many good things away from that book, and highly recommend it. Hope this helps.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 2:19 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think its more likely that the boy will grow up to have severe mental health issues than to become balanced in the universe.
    Anonymous

• I fully believe that everything in life "cycles" and will eventually be 'repaid' back to the universe in order to keep balance. Yes, horrible people are born/created and do horrible things. But, people are also created with the ability to love and have compassion on grand scales.

This helps me b/c I do not need to place blame on a god/creator, but can cope by accepting that all things are a part of a universal whole and will correct itself. Like I stated before, I may not live to see the correction or it may not happen as directly related to me as I would like..but it will happen. I keep hope that with every bad experiance, a good one is waiting to happen. I take comfort in knowing that even if its not for me personally, that at least someone out there is experiancing the balance in a positive way.

Without Darkness, There Can Be No Light...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:21 PM on May. 22, 2009

• "I think its more likely that the boy will grow up to have severe mental health issues than to become balanced in the universe. "

I see your logic in this (although it reeks of hopelessness)

BUT...with proper counseling (or rarely even without) this boy could go on to do great things. And he will want to do them specifically b/c of his childhood. I can hope this boy will learn perserverance from his ordeal. I can hope he will come to appriciate and fully understand a parent's True Love by finding another family. I can hope he will then dedicate his life to bringing joy into his life and others so that no other child will suffer as he did. Maybe he will speak out to other children on child abuse. Maybe he will become an advocate for advancing medical technology to help the blind see again. Maybe he will simply become a father and raise another person on this earth with as much love and joy as he can give to that child.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:27 PM on May. 22, 2009

• ozark- thank you for your perspective. I think its beautiful that you can have such hope in light of such darkness. I do admit that I see something like that and I'm ok with saying that I don't find any positive there, which is kinda the root of my questions. I do think sometimes bad things do happen period. But I think its great that you have such faith in your own beliefs. I hope I find that myself one day.
    Anonymous