I've been dying to ask this for years

I've never had the nerve to ask this of my black friends because I didn't want to offend them. But I've beey dying to know why it is that they always put their little girl's hair in so many pony tails all over their head. Is it some cultural thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:14 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Because it's too thick to put it in one or two pony tails. What I don't get is the beads, even my MIL(who is black) said she doesn't get why they put beads in their hair. Maybe the beads have to do with a cultural thing but the pony tails are because they hair is too thick.
    Anonymous

• my daughter's hair is thick & i don't do that (i'm not black either )
    Anonymous

• Because its cute. But just like any other hairstyle sometimes its not cute. I always wonder why white moms don't do more with their dd's hair. I guess we should just all see the beauty in what everyone else does.
    I prefer my dd's hair in a free curly afro but sometimes I section it into 4 or 5 afro puffs and its beautiful that way too.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:39 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Because if they don't some kids hair will be a poofy mess. I would rather see a few poytails then a head of fuzz. Which can be eliminated with help, but, it's easier to put it up. I am white, but, my mom always put my hair in pigtails or braids or ponies. Lot's of different styles. I hate to see any little girls hair just hanging. I prefer pulled back in some way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:12 PM on May. 22, 2009

• LMAO sorry this was too cute. *grin*
    at least they have their childs hair under control. which is more than i can say for some moms i've seen. black or white. lol
    Anonymous

• Thank you all for your responses. I agree, I'd much rather see a child's hair under control and styled than just being allowed to be a rat's nest. I was just wondering if it was something cultural?  It doesn't bug me, I was just curious. One of my black friends always uses a product called "Aphogee" in her daughter's hair and it makes it real shiny and soft. Then she scrunches it and her daughter has ringlets, it's so cute. I don't mind the beads so much as long as they're not over done.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Hmmm....my daughter has curly hair and I couldn't figure out how to keep the ringlets after shampooing. I will check out this Aphogee product.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:28 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Black or white its always nice to see a neatly done hair
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 11:20 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Sometimes, it's because can stay that way for a couple of days without getting all messed up and reduces the need to do their hair everyday. It's a lot of work! I had to do it when my DD was younger and my life was busier! My hair is very very fine and thin and is a different texture than my DD's is. My DD1 is mixed with whatever I am plus Hawaiian/Portuguese, so her hair is VERY thick. DD2 is mixed with Italian (my DF is Italian-American) and has the same texture of hair as I do.

I'm sure if you did ask your black friends, you'd get a similar answer and they wouldn't be offended. We don't mind questions, we don't bite. :)

Beads are a cultural thing. I like to make jewelry, and beads are a way of adornment in Africa. The Masai do beautiful beadwork! Doing it in the hair was huge in the 70's/80's and never really left. I think it's cute.

I'm pg with #3 right now and hoping for a boy...I can't comb anymore heads! LOL!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 9:17 PM on May. 23, 2009