Don't you think that Doctors should provide information to parents so there wouldn't be so many parents against vax?

Parents don't know about vaccines. And Doctors are not telling them about what exactly are vaccines and what reactions should be expected which are NORMAL. I think is parent's ignorance what is making parents stop or becoming against vaccines.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• From what I can tell, being in close contact with many families who chose no or selective/delayed vaccination for their children, your average non-vaxer is more educated about the vaccines than your average vaxing parent. I know several families that choose not to vaccinate, and each one examined the different perspectives, read the research, learned as much as they could about both sides, and made a decision based on what made sense for their family. I'm not sure how many non-vaxing families you are close to, but I would be *quite* surprised to meet one who actually didn't know that a reaction to the injection is a common occurrence that doesn't necessarily mean anything significant. Very few drs take the time to gain informed consent for vaccinations; few parents are advised about the proven risks of each vaccine (it's in the package insert, but not too many drs encourage their patients to familiarize themselves with that.)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:31 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My doctor's office is full of information sheets regarding all of the vaccinations they do in the office. I imagine most offices are similar. Also, the information is available if parents care to investigate...and I don't believe it's lack of information that causes most parents to be against vaccinations, but the opposite in fact. They tend to look into it and weigh their options while looking at the pros and cons and make their decisions based on the info they come across. Correct me if I'm wrong non-vaxers, but that's the impression I get. (I do vax my kids, so this is just what I have seen and not a biased opinion).
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:17 PM on May. 22, 2009

• We were given brochures on what will happen after the shots, she told us to give them tylenol to make sure they don't get a fever, the legs will be tender so try to not touch them and sometimes it causes dizziness and fatigue. She told us and gave us papers on it, so I think doctors do tell them or give them papers it the parents that are not listening or reading the papers. My husband and I sat down and read each paper we were given, it explain in detail what each shot was and what it was for and what the side affects were.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 2:20 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Mine do. By law they are suppose to provide you with a vaccine fact sheet. However, you as a parent should also do your research or at least ask.

As far as ignorance being the cause of people being against vaccines I don't believe that to be true. Most of the parents I know who are anti-vaccine or delay vaccination have thought out their positions well. They have weighed the risk of things like autism against the risk of the diseases and feel honestly that they don't want to risk the autism. I disagree but that's not the topic at hand.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:20 PM on May. 22, 2009

• its not just the basic side effects though its a lot more than that. and i believe if doctors did provide ALL of that information, truthfully... a lot more people wouldnt vax.

not the opposite.

read this sad and true story...
    http://www.freeyurko.bizland.com/yurkotale.html
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:21 PM on May. 22, 2009

• People are against them because they think it's the cause for autism, when in fact they took out what they thought was causing it and even though it's still not in the vax they studied it and it isn't the cause for autism.
    Anonymous

• Parents also have said many times that they don't trust the doctors because they are making money by giving children vaccinations.

I think it is entirely irresponsible to stay with a doctor you don't trust. My daughter's healthcare is too important for me to take her to a pediatrician that I don't trust. I love my daughter's pediatrician. She asks us questions, she answers our questions. My daughter's health is important to her.

But yes, all pediatricians need to explain the benefits and risks of all vaccines. They need to make the parents a partner in caring for their children by empowering them with the knowledge they need to make the best choices for their children.

We chose to vaccinate our daughter because the risks of not vaccinating outweighed the risks of vaccinating.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:22 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Um, no thats not it at all. Its required that a write up on each vaccine be given at the time they are administered. It tells you what its for, what the symptoms of the disease are and what reactions to expect and when to call the doc. Its put out by the CDC. Those of us who are skeptical of vaccinations know all this information. It doesnt make us less leary of them. Its the CDC we don't trust. Anyone can write up information sheets that has what they want to say on it and distribute it as factual information. Granted most of it might be factual, but they leave out so many details. These vaccines are made with preservatives. They have to last a long time and the only way to make them not go bad is to pump them full of nastiness such as ether, formeldahyde (sp), and mercury (disguised as thermerisol (sp)). I am not against putting antibodies into my child, but I am against weakening their immune system with preservatives.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:23 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Why do people expect their doctors to know everything about everything? As a consumer of medicine, you have a responsiblity to research and draw your own conclusions. Our doctor never suggested a delayed vax schedule, but that's what we did. She never recommended that we have the office order single dose, preservative free vaccines, but we did. She never told us that we could do one vax per office visit, yet that is what we did.
    I know that I know more about nutrition than most doctors; I once had a doctor try to convince me that chicken had fiber (maybe he meant protein?).

Answer by rkoloms at 2:24 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Yup, whittear... you're correct. When I was a vaxing parent, they'd hand over the packet of info & send me on my way. It wasn't until I decided to STOP vaxing that they bombarded me with all the "vital information".

It was too late by then, though. I did my own research & found at least 5 cons for every pro they'd throw at me. In fact, on more than one occasion, I caught drs in lies when I engaged in vax conversations with them. The more I questioned and went indepth, the more they would start changing their stories.

".. there is no thimerosal in our vaccines..." to "... there is no thimerosal in MOST of our vaccines..." to "... yes, all our vaccines contain thimerosal, but the amount is harmless...". Then, when I asked for a list of which vaccines had it (among other chemicals) & how much was in each, they wouldn't provide me with it.

So that didn't do much to sway my decision. Just reinforced it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:25 PM on May. 22, 2009