My baby doesn't seem to like any baby food????

Ok....he is 6 months old. I've tried....Carrots, Squash, and Pears so far. I figured he would at least like the fruit, but he's not having any of it!! He makes an awful face and will not open for another bite. I have mixed some in his cereal and he will eat it like that, but how long will that last? Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas??

17kimberly17

Asked by 17kimberly17 at 2:30 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My daughter was the same way! So my husband actually made her homemade baby food... she LOVED that!!! I would try making homemade baby food!!! Good luck!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:33 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I was going to suggest the same thing. Try homemade baby food, I know there are a couple of recipes online as well as books.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:40 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Maybe it's the texture. Find a food that has a similar texture to the oatmeal. Some of those baby foods can be really runny.

I have to say sxc mom probably has a great idea there. If you process the food at home it will be a little chunkier(depending on how much you mix it up) and you can find what consistency your baby will eat.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:41 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Have you tasted that stuff? LOL. Eating solids in the first year is more about learning different tastes and textures than it is about nutrition. They should be getting "the goods" mainly their milk/formula. I guess my point is, if he's not interested yet just try waiting a few weeks and try again.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 2:46 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Smash and avacodo up and mix with a small amount of breastmilk or formula . make sure its pretty creamy not watery! Its a wonderful first food its sooo good for them and it tastes good!
    Anonymous

• Opps i didnt mean to hit the anon button!! im the avacodo answer!lol
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 5:32 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Definitely avocado; may nutritonists now recommend skipping cereal and starting with avocado. Baked sweet potato is another great first food.
    If you are trying to feed your baby jarred food, and you taste it, you will understand why it is being rejected. It may take a couple of weeks for your baby to like a food. Relax, solids before baby's first birthday are for the experience of eating, not for nutrition.
    www.superbabyfood.com has great ideas

Answer by rkoloms at 8:28 PM on May. 22, 2009

• 1. Try again later, solids aren't needed so it's not like he's missing out on nutrition.

2. Have you tried that stuff? It's disgusting! I made DD food and made it lumpy but soft. After a couple weeks I just gave her table food and le ther feed herself.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:28 AM on May. 23, 2009

• Keep trying, he may not like the different textures. Also, try just mashing up tablefood. Bananas, peas, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans...all can be mushed up. My son only ate babyfood for a few months and then he was on tablefood and did much better and it was a lot cheaper.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:02 AM on May. 23, 2009