To spank or not to spank...

So my DH grew up in a home full of boys and not a single girl!!! He was taught very well by his mother to NEVER hit a female... Now I also grew up with all brothers and NO sisters... My father was a spanker, to my brothers but never to me!
Well... now we have 2 children. 1 girl and 1 boy... my husband thinks that its okay to discipline my son with spanking and my daughter with time outs and such! But I on the other hand think that they should both get the same types of discipline... For example: if my daughter (who is 5) draws on the walls (which she would never do) and my son (who is 2) drew on the walls (which he has actually done before) they should both get punished the same! Not time out for one and a spanking for the other! What do you think? Do you give your children different punishments? Do you believe that you should spank the boys but not the girls? Just curious!

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:32 PM on May. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• thats not fair! They should get punished the same way. If your DH wont do it you need to.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:33 PM on May. 22, 2009

• punishment should be equal.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:38 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think they should both be punished in the same manner, whether it's a spanking or time out.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:38 PM on May. 22, 2009

• That is wrong. Throw out the spanking & teach your child without hitting. Consider your goals in displining your children, to make them functioning members of society & keep the safe. Then consider what your punishments teach them. Hitting/Spanking children teaches them that hitting is ok under certain circumstances; if you are bigger & stronger or in a place of authority. If parents would stop thinking of parenting as keeping children in line & start thinking of it as teaching them how & why they should stay in line with societal norms, our kids would be much better off & so would our society.

Anonymous

• No. I think whatever type of discipline you and your husband choose should be the same for both. It's just like the whole boys shouldn't cry only girls, and it's a fact that boys have feelings too and how else are they going to express when their sad or mad if their being forced to hold in their feelings than that's just asking for a whole other set of problems. Emotional problems, anger management issues.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:42 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My husband and I try to have the same discipline for all our 3 kids. when my 8 year old was smaller he got spanked in the hand and that's about it. Now that he's 8 he gets priviliges taken away and goes to the corner for not behaving or listening. I think the kids shoudl be disciplined the same..specially with yours they are not that far in age.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:25 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Punish them equally if you spank ur son and not ur daughter he would prob. get the empression that you love your daughter more. it should be equal you love them equally punish them the same way
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 4:19 PM on May. 22, 2009

• reguardless of spanking, THE CHILDREN SHOULD BE TREATED EQUALLY. THATS BS IF YOU SPANK YOUR BOY AND LET THE GIRL GET AWAY WITH IT, YOU CANT PICK FAVORITES
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:36 PM on May. 22, 2009

• The punishment needs to be equal for both kids, gender doesn't matter.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:17 PM on May. 22, 2009

• oh hells no! All children should be punished the same. No matter the sex of the child. If they are in the same family they need to be treated the same when they have done something wrong.
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 7:19 PM on May. 22, 2009