What's a good gift for a wedding reception?

My husband's uncle is getting married today, and their reception is tonight. I still have not gotten them a gift because I don't know what to get them! They have been living together for 4 years already, and they have 2 kids, so I really cannot think of anything practical since nothing is new about their relationship. What can I get them? P.S. We're totally broke, so the gift has to be relatively inexpensive. I'm talking like 10 bucks or so.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 3:17 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, we went to Walmart and picked up a couple of Christian books on marriage. Thanks for all the ideas, ladies!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:57 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Just give them a gift card to walmart. If they have already been living togeather that long then im sure they alreay have everything they need. A few bucks on a card would be fine
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:21 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't get them anything.
    Anonymous

• Go to the dollar tree and get a nice picture frame, you would be suprised how nice there things CAN look-
    just make sure it doesnt have dollar general written all over it, plus there you can get a card cheap too-
    ORR you can get streamers and things from the dollar tree and decorate there car "just married' its sweet and could be cheap if u got everything tere!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 3:28 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Money or a gift card. If they've been living together that long chances are they don't really need much (they just want new stuff, but who doesn't right?) Remember, it's the thought that counts.
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 3:28 PM on May. 22, 2009

• set of wine glassz from like tjmaxx, there are always from other countrys and cheap.. we are talking under 10.00 here girl
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:30 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Well the rule of thumb for wedding gifts is the cost of your dinner plate. So if it's a really fancy place and it costs $100 per person then you'd give $200. I understand that you are broke, and it's hard. Another option is that you have up to a year to give a wedding gift. You can wait until you have more money if you'd feel better.

Something sort of inexpensive that someone did for us was they took our wedding invitiation and mounted it onto a piece of wood. Then they stained the wood to make it look decorative. It's a very sweet keepsake.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:09 PM on May. 22, 2009

• You don't get a gift for the actual wedding. You give cash. Enough to cover at least the cost of the meal. So low balling it would be about $300 for 2 people. That's the cost of your meal at an average reception hall and a gift.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 4:45 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Well, actually the reception is being held at a restaurant called Dots, which is the equivalent of Cracker Barrel... So that would range my gift at about $30?

Oh and thanks to the person who said you have a year to give a gift! That actually eases my nerves a bit. Thanks a ton guys! (And no I'm not waiting a year, if you're wondering, lol, Maybe just a couple weeks.)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:44 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't go, If I had nothing to give I would stay home being they have to pay for 2 plates just say you don't feel well
    Anonymous