Would it bother you if your child came home from school (public school) with a flier for "vacation bible school" in their take home folder?

Last week my dd (kindergarten) came home and when I checked her folder, there was a flier from a church wanting kids to attend their vacation bible school in it. It def bothered me, my husband says I'm stupid for getting upset about it, its just from a church. But, isn't religion supposed to stay out of public schools? I'm pagan, and I'm sure other parents would get upset if I had the school send out fliers that had anything to do with my religious preferences. What do you think?

Hecate9

Asked by Hecate9 at 3:24 PM on May. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wouldn't bother me. It's optional, right? No different than inviting her to see a school play or something.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 3:25 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I think is would bother me because we are not suppost to press that stuff at school.
    bpeets

Answer by bpeets at 3:26 PM on May. 22, 2009

• No it wouldnt bother me. We get all kinds of stuff from school... secular mostly .. you don't see me complaining. Vacation Bible School has all walks of life come in.. You do not have to be a christian to go.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:26 PM on May. 22, 2009

• But, it is different, religion is a very personal thing to me and I don't think it was appropriate for the school to do that.
    Hecate9

Answer by Hecate9 at 3:27 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't let it bother me.... there are far worse things she could be exposed to other than an invitation to VBS.

Just throw it away...

Anonymous

• I wouldnt get upset. its just a flier, i agree with your hubby sorry. They werent preaching to him, if they were doing stuff like that that may bother me but a flier?
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 3:28 PM on May. 22, 2009

• I've let her go before, and I went to, and while its true you don't have to be christian to go, they sure do shove it down your throat.
    Hecate9

Answer by Hecate9 at 3:28 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Just toss it.. No one is forcing you to do anything. :-) Its petty !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:28 PM on May. 22, 2009

• Nah, wouldn't bother me, but I dont' choose to let stuff like that bother me, I would just throw it away
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:30 PM on May. 22, 2009

• My point is, is that if were another religion, people would have a cow about it. But, since apparently I'm in the religious minority, I'm just supposed to suck it up. It starts with the fliers, where does it end?
    Hecate9

Answer by Hecate9 at 3:30 PM on May. 22, 2009